American Standard Cadet 3 Three Toilet consumer product review

Users who are viewing this thread

SEG10

Reaction score
Cadet 3

This message is to alert individuals of my experience with the American Standard Cadet 3 toilet. We had 2 of these toilets installed less than a year ago (February of 2008)and had a problem with one leaking to the point that it causes the toilet to flush itself. The other one seems to have a faint hissing sound, which I think is also a problem. However, it wasn't making that sound when the plumber was here so he says there isn't a problem.

Actually, the plumber tried to tell me there was nothing wrong with either toilet, which just annoyed me tremendously because I told him the one downstairs is flushing itself and my water bill has increased as a result. This problem started about 9 months after installation but being busy with the holidays, we just called for the repair this month.

When I insisted that I wasn't going to accept that there was nothing wrong, he did a test with food coloring and then finally admitted that the flush valve is leaking -- but he didn't have the part in stock. I have now waited a week and the part still isn't in. To say I am not happy with this situation is probably a bit of an understatement.

So, buyer beware. I hope this won't be an ongoing problem with these toilets.

Attachments

• cadet_3_flapper.jpg
    cadet_3_flapper.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 41,502
Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Korky makes a flapper for the Cadet 3 that is significantly better than the OEM flapper. They are sold in big box stores!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Good advice from Redwood. You can see why he earns the big bucks. Change the flapper to a Korky one and then sit back and enjoy the luxury of a Cadet 3 for years to come.

You'll soon forgive that ol' flapper design.

Not just any standard, but American Standard!

If you want to convert your Cadet 3 to a luxury model, I have posted my proposed conversion here. Very cheap and simple. https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22504&highlight=korky

igrant

Reaction score
Cadet 3 vs Toto Drake

After reading as much as I could about these two toilets I installed a Drake in Feb 08. Didn't want to risk A.S. quality or lack thereof. It's been a great toilet so far, except the tank lid has never sit correctly, it wobbles. Now I have another toilet to replace I bought another Drake. Noticed that they are made in Mexico too, now; so much for the manuafcturing-quality argument. I also noticed that the trapway did not appear to be properly glazed - very rough surface well within finger reach of each end - unlike the glossy smooth trapway of my first Drake. Complained to store, they said Toto rep would call, waited a month while reminding store, gave up and returned toilet. So now I'm back to wondering about Cadet 3. I looked at one at Home Depot, porcelain had a flaw right in the trapway entrance. Has anyone had a Cadet 3 for greater than a year, and does it work well? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The trapway is glazed and it's been shown that the slight roughness helps keep the paper from adhering to the sides since some water flow can catch the edges.

If you can get a Cadet that doesn't have a defect, it should work okay. The Drake is likely more reliable. Toto's QA is pretty consistent, regardless of which factory is producing their stuff.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The roughness in the trapway just prevents things like wipes from "sticking"

I've had more problems with the Cadets over the years. I've never had a problem with a Drake bowl.
And we sell the Drakes every day.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
We bought two Cadet 3 toilets about 3 years ago. For the first 8 months, we had absolutely no problems and loved them. Then, the toilets started leaking down in the back of the tank and refilling every hour or so. We replaced the flappers and that would cure the problem for 2-3 months and the problem starts again. We have replaced the flappers on both commodes at least a dozen times but the problem still persists. We have called the American Standard Co. but they say no one else has complained of such a problem. We have to pay tremendous water bills because of this problem, we are just about crazy at this point. We would love an answer to this problem. Are we just stuck with toilets that don't do thier job properly? Thank you for any advice you care to offer. Pam S

attachment.php

The black rubber on the Cadet 3 Flapper starts to blister, this one is six months old.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Er...yeah like Redwood said. Nobody said the flappers were any good on these otherwise excellent toilets.

Put a korky fill valve in it and your are done.

My Cadet 3 is almost three years old now and it looks and performs beter than the day I bought it.

It is a fantastic toilet....if you change the flapper.

I might buy a Drake to hide away in my basement, when it's finished.

And I'll leave the Cadet 3 on the main floor: my pride and joy for all the VIP guests to see.

"Cadet 3 at your service SIR!"

Last edited:

dlf

Reaction score
Cadet 10 in Rough In

I have just installed 2 Toto Drakes and am very satisified. I have 3 other toilets in house - on of which gets heavy use - but is a 10 in rough in. I was going to get a Toto, but the water supply to the toilet wont work with the skirted Totos.

I am getting the impression that the Cadet 3 may be the best available for a 10 in rough in. Are there any other good 10 in rough-in toilets. The water supply comes up out of a tiled floor 3.5 in from wall and 5.5 inches from center of toilet. Any suggestions?

Art Johnson

Reaction score
American Standard Cadet 3 toilet

I purchased an American Standard Cadet 3 toilet last spring. I think that it's water-saving feature is a joke. I find that I have to flush the toilet at least twice and often three times to clear the bowl. (that's water-saving?) I have written two letters to A/S, neither of which was ever answered, asking if there is some treatment I can apply to the bowl itself to make it flush more efficiently. I don't know what bothers me more, the toilet's poor functioning or the company's completely ingnoring letters I have sent to them. Does anyone have any suggestions to remedy the former?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I find that I have to flush the toilet at least twice and often three times to clear the bowl. Art

Art,
Are you referring to bowl rinse?
or flushing solids?

All new toilets since 1992 use less water, therefore there is less bowl rinse then before.

If it's not clearing solids, then the trap in the bowl may have something left over. Sometimes a closet auger will clear that.

davesyo

Reaction score
About this replacement flapper 3040bp from korky .Does anyone know if this flapper closes a little slower then the american standard flapper ?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
About this replacement flapper 3040bp from korky .Does anyone know if this flapper closes a little slower then the american standard flapper ?

It should close the same as it is a 1.6GPF toilet.
However, it doesn't blister and leak.

Sweeneyps

Reaction score
AS Cadet 3 Model 2568?

Need replacement toilet. Considering As Cadet 3 or Toto Drake, UltraMax or Carlyle.
Local Plumbing Supply house has AS Cadet 3 Models 2403.128 (1.28gallon) and 2403.016 (1.6gallon) These are both 1-piece, elongated, everclean, ADA height, complete w/seat models.
Lowe's has a Cadet 3 Model 2568.128 (1.28gallon) This is also 1-piece, elongated, everclean, ADA height, complete w/seat.
I can not find any reference to the AS 2568 Model on the American Standard website, or anywhere else, except @ Lowe's. Appearance and feature-wise, the 2403 and 2568 seem identical. Lowe's has the 2568 at a very attractive price, but will soon be stocking the 2403 (at a higher price).
Any insight is appreciated. thanks

Grading the best toilets, the ones that work!

davesyo

Reaction score
It should close the same as it is a 1.6GPF toilet.
However, it doesn't blister and leak.

The reason why I'm asking is because I've seen them in home depot and it looks like their made a little lighter meaning there's no plastic body on top of the rubber like the american standard and it has a hole at the bottom with a small plastic insert .I thought maybe this would have something to do with the closing rate the same way some of the 2 inch flappers have that adjustable foam on the chain to adjust the flapper closing rate .

davesyo

Reaction score
I seem to be having a problem with bowl wash on my new compact cadet 3. I'm not sure if I'm going to return it or try to solve this .I thought I'd try the korky and the fluidmaster adjustable flapper to see if they closed slower neither seemed to make much of a difference .Does any one else have this problem ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks