(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: American Standard Cadet 3 Three Toilet consumer product review

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    Or, Perhaps a quality control inspector on siesta?
    I'm inclined to agree with Redwood on this one. No earthquakes and no heavy objects. I think I should have made the salesperson in the plumbing department open a few more boxes.

Default Know this AS model?

I've got an offer on a new AS toilet but they don't know what model it is. I'm scared it's the dreaded Champion but can't tell. Can anyone here tell what it is and know if it's a decent model?
    Thanks in advance!

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That is the Cadet 3, it's found in many home centers.

Hi, first post here. I started my first toilet install attempt yesterday with a Cadet 3, and after about 7 hours spent on this (including having to use a drill and a sawzall to get the bolts out of the old toilet), I'm stuck. This forum has the most in-depth knowledge I found online, so I'm posting my questions here. I've got the bowl installed, fine, I think. The tank leaks water through the tank-bowl bolt holes, and no matter what I do, I can't get that to stop. Things I've tried:

* Replaced the stock bolts with a bolt repair kit, which let me put rubber washers on both sides of the tank and put a nut there to hold the washers in place. My first thought was that it was leaking through the bolt holes, since that's where I saw the water.

* As far as I can tell, it's leaking around the sides of the gasket that goes between the tank and the bowl. If I fill the tank and watch that space, I see water starting to well up there, and then eventually start dripping out through the bolt holes.

* I've tried everything from barely past finger tight, to tightening it all the way down so the tank isn't rocking at all. No difference.

* The gasket that came with the toilet is square on all the sides, maybe a very tiny taper on the bottom surface. If I just rest the tank on the gasket / bowl and run my finger along the inside of the opening, I can feel that the edge of the gasket and the opening don't line up perfectly. Also, when tightening it down, the gasket compresses / bulges on one side. I'm not sure if that's causing / related to the leak.

* I even filled the tank with some water, (flapper in place) then picked it up to look underneath. I think I see water starting to leak from the outside edge of the plastic "nut"-like piece that's on the underside of the tank. I'm not sure if this is even a valid test - is the tank supposed to be watertight without the gasket in place?

* I've tried Ace Hardware and Home Depot, and I can't find any replacement gaskets with a 3" opening.

If someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong, and how to fix it, I would be really grateful.

Thanks,
    Saurav

Blog Entries

* I even filled the tank with some water, (flapper in place) then picked it up to look underneath. I think I see water starting to leak from the outside edge of the plastic "nut"-like piece that's on the underside of the tank. I'm not sure if this is even a valid test - is the tank supposed to be watertight without the gasket in place?
    Yes, that's your leak. The large plastic nut may need to be tightened.
    If snugging it up doesn't fix it, you can remove the flush valve, inspect the china inside the tank, and sand smooth if needed.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I took the flush valve off, and found 2 bumps in the porcelain under the flush valve's gasket. One of them landed right on the edge of the gasket, I could see part of it visible outside. So I spent some time with a dremel and various sanding wheels, and ground those down as best as I could. Put it back together again, and so far, no leaks (fingers crossed).

I dumped a lot of water on the floor with my "lift the tank up and look under it" test. Also, I left some gaps in the caulk between the bowl and the floor. That was a suggestion from someone at Home Depot, she said it would help spot wax ring leaks sooner, otherwise the leaking water would just get into the floor... not sure if that was a good idea or not. Anyway, now I see a bunch of water coming out from under the bowl, but I'm hoping that's water that got in there when I practically flooded the bathroom. If I've broken the floor seal with all my shenanigans, that will be the icing on the cake for this venture

Thanks once again, it's a huge relief to have finally (hopefully) solved this extremely frustrating problem.

Blog Entries

Inless the flange is above the finished floor, it will take two waxs rings.

The flange was a little bit above the floor, which is just sheet vinyl, so hopefully that's OK. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days. Thanks again for your help.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

You should be able to feel the wax smush as you set the toilet. Plus, if the toilet rocks at all, the wax isn't a spring, and you'll end up with a gap. If the toilet rocks, you need to use shims.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

It's not rocking. I had to rotate it a bit to line it up after I set it down, but I don't think I rocked it after I got it down. I ran about a dozen flushes this morning, and there doesn't seem to be any more water coming out, so I'm hoping that was all water that seeped in under the toilet when I got it on the ground.

To those with Cadet 3 flapper closing way too fast and not getting proper flush. I found the fix for mine. Flushes consistently and correctly now. I measured the flush and now actually uses the gpf it says on the tank. Not sure how much it used yesterday when bought it, but must have been about half.
    http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...al-flapper-fix

Thanks a lot for the reply. I took the flush valve off, and found 2 bumps in the porcelain under the flush valve's gasket. One of them landed right on the edge of the gasket, I could see part of it visible outside. So I spent some time with a dremel and various sanding wheels, and ground those down as best as I could. Put it back together again, and so far, no leaks (fingers crossed).
    Thanks to Saurav's question and Terry's answer I have solved the exact same problem of water leaking through the tank bolt (or at least it appeared so but I suspect the water made its way from the seal to the bolt perhaps). I too had the same porcelain bumps that while, small, were large enough to depress some of ridges of the seal joining the tank to the bowl. I also noticed a portion of the grey 'gunk' sealer used inside the tank was spilled over into the area the seal occupied and gummed up between the ridges of the seal. I grinded down the bits of porcelain and cleaned the gunk out of the seal and Voila! No leaks - finally after about 10 hours of frustration. Really glad I stumbled on this thread but not so glad about American Standard's qaulity control processes. I'd say this was poor. You'd simply need someone at the end of the line to inspect the tanks when they come off the mold and make what amounts to a 2 min fix. It frustrates me to no end when manufacturers tout the newest glaze, flush, environmental benefit or other feature but don't pay attention to the most basic and simple principle - qaulity. I opted to buy this model which was 2x more than a basic toilet only to wonder if this is indicative of what I can expect in the years ahead. I will be thinking twice about buying a new A/S model again. Let's hope the long-term experience with this toilet will make me keep an open mind.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Plumbripe View Post
    You'd simply need someone at the end of the line to inspect the tanks when they come off the mold and make what amounts to a 2 min fix.
    The end of the line is the wrong place to be worrying about quality, but seems to be the American way of compensating for skimping on quality when the product is being manufactured.

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

have a 2 year old Am.Std. 1.6 lpf model that leaks water around the flapper. Same ol, but the black rubber gasket has several amazing water-filled blisters that prevent a tight seal. I pierced these bubbles with the tip of a sharp sewing needle and pushed the water out…it’s much better for now. Last time I looked, Casa Depo didn’t carry a replacement part for this model! Nor do they provide parts for my $80 kitchen faucet which also leaks. Maybe this stuff is supposed to be disposable. Jim Ashcom

Default re: AS Cadet 3 water height in bowl is low

I installed a cadet 3 last week in my house w/4.8L tank. I noticed that the water height in the bowl is low. I wondered if it was possible to make an adjustment so that I can get some extra water in the bowl.

Issue #2
    another strange thing that happened right after I installed the toilet, was the fill valve was leaking water at the top (where the cap it), also creating a "hissing" sound. the tank eventually filled pass the overflow line, and after a few minutes the water in the bowl filled to the proper height. I opened the lid today, and noticed that this problem somehow fixed itself. Is there anything to be concerned about? (should I replace any parts now? I don't want this to be a reoccurring issue)