American Standard Cadet 3 Three Toilet consumer product review

Users who are viewing this thread

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Right side trip levers have been available for some time, though it is normally a special order. Maybe you got one accidentally. Most all toilets have left side trip levers because most people are right handed. Think about it. Do you wash your hands before or after you flush the toilet?

You may be right. It does say "Cadet Flush Right" on a sticker underneath another sticker on the box. Odd that they don't make it more obvious.

Grading the best toilets, the ones that work!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Well, I returned the tank and got the last one Lowes had, and the lever is on the left side. My wife says I'm too much of a perfectionist. :D

By the way, the chain doesn't even come close to the fill valve with the lever on the left side. I don't think that will be a problem at all. I'm very pleased with this toilet now.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Keep watching the flapper. It might stick open with some combinations of chain adjustment. And when I had the chain too loose this did catch the fill valve once.

MI-Roger

Reaction score
Short life of flapper valve.....

I installed a Cadet-III in our upstairs bath in June of 2007. Recently the flapper valve started leaking, causing the toilet to partially re-fill two or three times a day.

I just bouhgt a new flapper today (only $5, so not too bad) but I am concerned by the short life of the rubber gasket on the original valve. The gasket has what feels to be blisters in the rubber (I will know more after I replace it tonight) which allows the water to leak past the closed flapper.

The counter-guy at the Plumbing Repair shop that sold me the replacement part (not available in local Big Box stores yet) said my problem is caused by chlorine levels in the water. Clearly not something I can control.

Anyone else having problems with short flapper gasket life?

Thanks,

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The counter-guy at the Plumbing Repair shop that sold me the replacement part (not available in local Big Box stores yet) said my problem is caused by chlorine levels in the water. Clearly not something I can control.

Anyone else having problems with short flapper gasket life?

Thanks,
In my neck of the woods, we have extremely hard water where we get a clear build up of scale and calcuim in a short period of time.

Water softners do help clean up some of the crap in our water

MI-Roger

Reaction score
Flush Valve Gasket Blisters!!!!!!

attachment.php

I changed out my flapper valve last night. The rubber ring gasket which seals the flapper valve had approximately (6) blisters on the sealing side. These blisters were the cause of my slow leakage and re-filling of the tank.

All blisters were arranged in a circle which corresponds precisely with the sealing surface on the flush valve. It almost looks as if there is a material incompatibility issue between the rubber gasket and the flush valve seat!

I tried to flip the gasket upside-down to use the back side too. Unfortunately, there is a raised lip on the inner diameter of the gasket that allows it to only fit one way into the flapper valve frame.

Korky makes a replacement flapper for the Cadet 3

Standard® Cadet® 3 Flapper
p/n: 3040BP
http://www.korky.com/flappers.html

dland

Reaction score
Spud Washer on Cadet 3

I am currently installing an American Standard Cadet 3 and I noticed that the washer that sits between the tank and the bowl is particularly thick and the tank remains very wobbly after I've bolted it down to the bowl. I did not tighten the bolts so much that the bottom of the tank touches the bowl because everyone keeps telling me "don't over-tighten the bolts or you'll crack the bowl". Am I just being too cautious? Should I simply tighten the bolts until the tank and bowl touch? Or is it possible that I have somehow gotten the wrong size spud washer (mine is exactly 1 inch thick)? After I hand tighten the bolts there is still a good 1/3 inch of room between the tank and the bowl.

Thanks,
Dave

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You may be right. It does say "Cadet Flush Right" on a sticker underneath another sticker on the box. Odd that they don't make it more obvious.

"FlushRight" is American Standard copywrited name for that particular flushing design. It does NOT refer to where the handle is. You got either a mispack from the factory, or a special order at the store that got put into regular inventory.

In accessible public restrooms, the flush handle must be on the same side that has the wheelchair clearance, hence the need for both types. The demand for right side lever is so low that only a very large supply house would stock it.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would guess you didn't tighten the tank down enough. Sometimes it seems like the bowl will break but I have never had one break.

If the Cadet 3 was easier for you to install and your happy with it, that is all that matters. Cadet 3s flush well.

I wasn't refering to you when I made the statment about tools, I should not have included the statment in the same paragraph, I was just saying there are people out there who shouldn't touch them...ask me how I know.:)

Jamie Love

Plumbing expert
Reaction score
Website
www.outfromunderneath.com
Round bowl in elongated box

I went out to install an elongated Cadet 3 toilet in Seattle yesterday.
I got out to the job, vacuumed the water out of the old toilet, and removed it to the plumbing van.
I then carried in the boxes with the new Cadet 3, one box marked "Elongated bowl"
Pulled the bowl out of the box, it was a round bowl.
Not elongated.

Someone at the American Standard factory had put a round bowl, in an elongated box.

So, the next step, is return the round bowl at the wholesaler,
pull the new bowl out of it's box, and inspect to see if it's round or elongated before I make the round trip over the floating bridge into Seattle to finish the installation
Time added to my day?
2 hours.
2 hours I can't bill for.

How many plumbers out there are willing to donate 2 hours out of their day, because the factory is making mistakes?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Jamie that is why the only Central American Standard items I install are customer supplied, after I warn them that if its defective I still charge to install it.

I will give them a 2nd job discount on the second one if they hurry getting back!

Jackie07

Reaction score
I installed two AS Cadet comfort height elongated toilets in my home in November of '05. Both still flushing perfectly, no leaks, no complaints.

The Cadet 3 came out in 2007
In 2005 they had pressure assist Cadets and 2" flush valve Cadets.

tjfaenza

Reaction score
AS Cadet 3

Hi,

New to the forum but have been lurking for weeks.

I see all the positive comments folks have on the AS Cadet 3. As I look online, I see models with pressure assist and others without. Would you all recommend I get the model with pressure assist?

Thanks

attachment.php

Cadet 3 tank with flapper

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Positive comments???
Did I make any of those???:confused:

Pressure assisted is not something I would recommend to anybody!
I even have taken them out of commercial applications and had happy customers!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
They've changed the flapper position compared to my early 2007 vintage!

Mine is straight on. That flapper is angled, with the hinge top-right. I bet that stops the problems I had when I first installed the toilet with the flapper staying open.

Ron in SC

Reaction score
How many plumbers out there are willing to donate 2 hours out of their day, because the factory is making mistakes?

I bought an American Standard Cadet 3 from Lowes. When I got home and unpacked it the toilet seat was missing; I got the one that was supposed to come with everything. I called Lowes and they said to come by and they would give me a seat from another box, which they did.

I went to install the tank and it was finished so badly that the tank cover did not cover part of the tank in front that is supposed to have the glazed finish. . Toilet was marked made in Mexico. So the question is do the Chinese make better toilets?

I think I may get another brand, it appears this model has quality control problems.

So which Toto is comparable in performance to the Cadet 3?
The TOTO Drake is recommended by plumbers
Drake 800 grams by Veritech Video

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forum but have been lurking for weeks.

I see all the positive comments folks have on the AS Cadet 3. As I look online, I see models with pressure assist and others without. Would you all recommend I get the model with pressure assist?

Thanks

You don't need the pressure-assisted one. I have a regular Cadet 3 and it really flushes well.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
attachment.php

For whatever reason this tank could not be tightened as designed. I was able to tighten it so tight that the tank was on the bowl on only one side. I did tighten it incrementally but with no success. I must have tried tightening it a dozen times before I finally said ok that's enough. I returned it to Lowes.

I know the Cadet 3 are recommended by people on the board but I think that American Standard lacks a quality control department.

The other Cadet 3 that I returned to Lowes yesterday lacked glazing on part of the tank that was very visable with the tank cover in place. It also lacked a seat which was to be included. They did give me a seat but like I say I ended up returning it anyway because of the lack of glaze.

The same person handled my return yesterday handled the one today. I asked her if they get a lot of returns on American Standard and she said yes.
Ron in SC

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You are right about the quality controll but for double the $$$ you can get a Toto and not have the problems although no toilet Mfg. is perfect...some are just better than others.

I have yet to have a problem with the tank on any Cadet 3 I have installed.

The tank leaning to one side is almost always because of starting wrong.

Grading the best toilets, the ones that work!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks