(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: American Standard Cadet 3 Three Toilet consumer product review

Good point, Terry. Another reason I've been a long-term lurker here! Thanks!

Edit: Several hours after posting this I went to a big box store to check out their offerings first hand. After using this site, I knew a bit more about what to look for. Anyway, I saw an A/S Cadet 3 'everything-included-in-one-box' deal and when no sales people were around I popped it open:

The porcelain (from what I could see) was dirty and covered with powder and flakes the consistency of broken drywall, but otherwise the glaze appeared to be alright. One thing that (for whatever reason) did not bode well for me was that the American Standard log on top of the bowl was off center. Noticeably so. It may seem minor, but that struck me as being a warning sign of potential unseen faults (I over-analyze this stuff).

At least the Kohler Cimmarons next to the A/S LOOKED like they were built and finished professionally.

Bear in mind I'm no plumber, but if I was putting something in my house that would (hopefully) be of use for years to come, I want it to look nice as well as perform its intended function...

Quote Originally Posted by J_Tay1981 View Post
    Bear in mind I'm no plumber, but if I was putting something in my house that would (hopefully) be of use for years to come, I want it to look nice as well as perform its intended function...
    Well then perhaps you might want to click on this link below and go have a look at a real quality toilet...

Where to find the best toilets

Now if only Toto made a 10"rough Drake i'd be set. Instead I'm looking at the Cadat 3.

Toto makes 10" rough toilets!

Edited 11/7/2013
    Drake CST744EF.10
    Aquia CST412MF.10
    Last edited by Terry; 11-07-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Lots of companies CAN (doesn't mean they do) design decent products...that doesn't mean they can manufacture them reliably. If you're lucky, you make out...if you're not, you'll know it. Sort of like getting the proverbial Monday or Friday car off the assembly line...depends on whether they had a hangover or were rushing to get home. Toto really manages their product production and design well - probably the best in the industry.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by 10"rough View Post
    Now if only Toto made a 10"rough Drake i'd be set. Instead I'm looking at the Cadat 3.
    The 10" Cadet 3 I did is still working great one year later. See http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...5&postcount=68
    I would do it again.

For my last of 3 toilet replacements in this house, I am currently debating between $199 complete Cadet 3 elongated, ADA in a box vs.~ $350 Toto EcoDrake elongated, ADA, w/softclose seat. Will let my wife decide.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Remember, you don't have to fit a Toto softclose seat to a Toto toilet. It'll fit just fine on a Cadet 3 too.

Mine sports one.

Unhappy Cadet 3 Poor Choice

I cannot emphasize enough the poor design of the Cadet 3 bowl wash system. The toilet itself is wonderful in efficiency and flushing. However, the poor design of the bowl cleaning system will make you regret putting this toilet in your bathroom. I am about to replace mine. There is minimal water to clean off the sides of the bowl. As a result, you will find yourself cleaning off solids from the sides on a frequent basis.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

I don't notice problems with my Cadet 3 that are any different to other toilets I have used, especially the low-flow ones.

All toilets should be cleaned, like the rest of the house, once a week.

I weigh over 200 pounds and eat an awful diet. Drink lots too. You can only imagine the "mess" I make.

The Cadet 3 deals with it just fine.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 06-03-2009 at 02:20 PM.

My Cadet 3 stays very clean even with the amount of use I thought it would never get. I have not heard complaints from my next door neighbor or my father who both use the Cadet 3. In fact, they can't believe how well they work (as well as they have reduced their water bills).

I agree with Ian that a toilet needs to be cleaned, just as one vacuums the floors or washes their clothes.

I will also add that diet and ones physical makeup is a factor. Believe it or not, try adding 1 teaspoon of Metamucil (or generic) to your morning orange juice, and then see how much better the toilet rinses.

achutch

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Quote Originally Posted by achutch View Post
    Believe it or not, try adding 1 teaspoon of Metamucil (or generic) to your morning orange juice, and then see how much better the toilet rinses.

achutch

uh, no.

I tried that colon cleansing stuff you see on infomercials at 4 am in the morning...

woke up next morning, fine, no problems. Felt a little bit queasie but hell I guess it's working.

Next morning about 5 am I'm awoken but by the sheer fear of leaving my bed for the toilet. Made it with enough time to drop the trousers and let go of a 13' elimination. DAMN SON!

Willy Wonka had nothing on me that day, nothing. But in reference to your above statement, don't start what you can't stop.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Default A BIT OFF TOPIC: NO to the infomercial stuff, & "bad" water

Quote Originally Posted by RUGGED View Post
    uh, no.

I tried that colon cleansing stuff you see on infomercials at 4 am in the morning...

woke up next morning, fine, no problems. Felt a little bit queasie but hell I guess it's working.

Next morning about 5 am I'm awoken but by the sheer fear of leaving my bed for the toilet. Made it with enough time to drop the trousers and let go of a 13' elimination. DAMN SON!

Willy Wonka had nothing on me that day, nothing. But in reference to your above statement, don't start what you can't stop.
    Rugged,

I know this is off topic and has nothing to do with the discussion of the Cadet 3, but I'll comment anyway.

You were brave!

I'd be afraid to try any of that stuff they sell on the infomercials. In fact I saw some of the "colon cleaners" in the grocery store yesterday when I had to pick up more Metamucil, and I cringed at some of the ingredients in them. They would probably screw my "internals" up more than they are already. I have IBS (which makes a superior functioning toilet critical) so my doctor put me on it several years ago. Things tend to work a lot better with it then before. All it is are ground up psyllium seeds that swell up to a jelly-like consistency. There are no stimulants or chemicals that would cause a reaction like you had with the colon cleanser.

One of the places I lived in during the early '80s (a mobile home park) had polluted water, the landlord knew about it, and did nothing for it until years later when there were septic systems backing up and sewer water running over the lawns (it actually made the 6:00 News several times). When I lived there, the water at times would turn black if the power went off and the system lost pressure. I was sick a lot during that time and never went anywhere without a bottle of Pepto with me. The Medical Department at work had me call the health officer to test the water. He did, and it came back from the lab as "too dirty to be tested". The landlord dropped in on me in a huff, took a sample of my water and it as expected came back clean. That test was for show, and what he really did was to send in water from another source, his own well or bottled water. Soon after that, I moved, and it took at least a year before my gut calmed down. Then years later, the residents sued and took over the park. There was a new community septic system installed, and hopefully a new water source or some sort of water treatment. How a landlord can knowingly allow 125+ families / tenants to drink contaminated water is beyond me. But I am a believer in "what goes around comes around", and one day he'll get his if he hasn't already.

The water here at my cabin comes out of a brook that comes off the mountain. It's probably cleaner than the water from that park where I lived. BUT I don't drink it. I bring in water from home.

achutch

Quote Originally Posted by nashkato View Post
    For my last of 3 toilet replacements in this house, I am currently debating between $199 complete Cadet 3 elongated, ADA in a box vs.~ $350 Toto EcoDrake elongated, ADA, w/softclose seat. Will let my wife decide.
    Wife voted for the EcoDrake because she says the Toto is so much sexier. She hasn't noticed a big difference in performance between our existing Cadet 3 and Totos.

Quote Originally Posted by jkj View Post
    Can someone tell me what the item number is for the home depot 4019.016 bowl he is reffering to? Im guessing its around ** bucks from his total cost here. I just want to be able to go pick it up or get lowes to price match it.

From what I found out the tank is 112.50 from both lowes and home depot. The bowl is 61 from lowes. That is 173.50+tax so kinda far from the $*** Derek quoted above me.
    One year later, I noticed your post and recorded the info on a recent rip to HD. My local store still has the "compact" tank, item 4019.016.020 (last .020 = color code I think). Price is $**.00 here in North Carolina. SKU at HD is 732-312. Sorry this is probably not helpful anymore.
    Last edited by Terry; 06-05-2009 at 05:37 PM.