American Standard Cadet 3 Three Toilet consumer product review

Users who are viewing this thread

J_Tay1981

Reaction score
Long-Term reliability

Some of the early posts on this thread for the American Standard Cadet 3 questioned its long-term reliability. In all honesty, isn't a toilet a fairly simple device? What all can go wrong on one? The Cadet 3's on other sites appear to have generally favorable customer reviews, and since they seem to be a redesign of the Toto Drake models, wouldn't they be fairly comprable?

Is it the quality of the porecelin manufacturing that is suspect, the gaskets/innards, etc.? If it's just the gaskets or valves, couldn't I just swap them out for a Korky or other after-market system that is fairly high quality? Would I really have to open each box at a Lowes to check the quality on these guys? :confused:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Would I really have to open each box at a Lowes to check the quality on these guys?

Would I really have to open each box at a Lowes to check the quality on these guys? :confused:

The other forums are mainly homeowner postings.
Here, you have professional plumbers giving input.
That being the case, we see all of the brands, all the time.
We have personal experience, it's not a once in a lifetime buying experience.

No. You do not have to check the box as a home owner.
Home owners have all the time in the world, and they will take several trips back and forth anyway to get things they don't have or forget.
You are making the trips anyway.

A plumber expects to do things only once.
For us,
It matters.
Would you be willing to pay a plumber for multiple trips until he finally gets it right?

J_Tay1981

Reaction score
Edit: Several hours after posting this I went to a big box store to check out their offerings first hand. After using this site, I knew a bit more about what to look for. Anyway, I saw an A/S Cadet 3 'everything-included-in-one-box' deal and when no sales people were around I popped it open:

The porcelain (from what I could see) was dirty and covered with powder and flakes the consistency of broken drywall, but otherwise the glaze appeared to be alright. One thing that (for whatever reason) did not bode well for me was that the American Standard log on top of the bowl was off center. Noticeably so. It may seem minor, but that struck me as being a warning sign of potential unseen faults (I over-analyze this stuff).

At least the Kohler Cimmarons next to the A/S LOOKED like they were built and finished professionally.

Bear in mind I'm no plumber, but if I was putting something in my house that would (hopefully) be of use for years to come, I want it to look nice as well as perform its intended function...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Toto makes 10" rough toilets!

Edited 11/7/2013
Drake CST744EF.10
Aquia CST412MF.10

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Lots of companies CAN (doesn't mean they do) design decent products...that doesn't mean they can manufacture them reliably. If you're lucky, you make out...if you're not, you'll know it. Sort of like getting the proverbial Monday or Friday car off the assembly line...depends on whether they had a hangover or were rushing to get home. Toto really manages their product production and design well - probably the best in the industry.

nashkato

Reaction score
Now if only Toto made a 10"rough Drake i'd be set. Instead I'm looking at the Cadat 3.

The 10" Cadet 3 I did is still working great one year later. See https://terrylove.com/forums/showpost.php?p=139265&postcount=68
I would do it again.

For my last of 3 toilet replacements in this house, I am currently debating between $199 complete Cadet 3 elongated, ADA in a box vs.~ $350 Toto EcoDrake elongated, ADA, w/softclose seat. Will let my wife decide.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Remember, you don't have to fit a Toto softclose seat to a Toto toilet. It'll fit just fine on a Cadet 3 too.

Mine sports one.

shlmstr

Reaction score
Cadet 3 Poor Choice

I cannot emphasize enough the poor design of the Cadet 3 bowl wash system. The toilet itself is wonderful in efficiency and flushing. However, the poor design of the bowl cleaning system will make you regret putting this toilet in your bathroom. I am about to replace mine. There is minimal water to clean off the sides of the bowl. As a result, you will find yourself cleaning off solids from the sides on a frequent basis. :(

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I don't notice problems with my Cadet 3 that are any different to other toilets I have used, especially the low-flow ones.

All toilets should be cleaned, like the rest of the house, once a week.

I weigh over 200 pounds and eat an awful diet. Drink lots too. You can only imagine the "mess" I make. :)

The Cadet 3 deals with it just fine.

Last edited:

Achutch

Reaction score
My Cadet 3 stays very clean even with the amount of use I thought it would never get. I have not heard complaints from my next door neighbor or my father who both use the Cadet 3. In fact, they can't believe how well they work (as well as they have reduced their water bills).

I agree with Ian that a toilet needs to be cleaned, just as one vacuums the floors or washes their clothes.

I will also add that diet and ones physical makeup is a factor. Believe it or not, try adding 1 teaspoon of Metamucil (or generic) to your morning orange juice, and then see how much better the toilet rinses.

achutch

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Believe it or not, try adding 1 teaspoon of Metamucil (or generic) to your morning orange juice, and then see how much better the toilet rinses.

achutch

uh, no.

I tried that colon cleansing stuff you see on infomercials at 4 am in the morning...

woke up next morning, fine, no problems. Felt a little bit queasie but hell I guess it's working.

Next morning about 5 am I'm awoken but by the sheer fear of leaving my bed for the toilet. Made it with enough time to drop the trousers and let go of a 13' elimination. DAMN SON!

Willy Wonka had nothing on me that day, nothing. But in reference to your above statement, don't start what you can't stop. :eek:

Achutch

Reaction score
A BIT OFF TOPIC: NO to the infomercial stuff, & "bad" water

uh, no.

I tried that colon cleansing stuff you see on infomercials at 4 am in the morning...

woke up next morning, fine, no problems. Felt a little bit queasie but hell I guess it's working.

Next morning about 5 am I'm awoken but by the sheer fear of leaving my bed for the toilet. Made it with enough time to drop the trousers and let go of a 13' elimination. DAMN SON!

Willy Wonka had nothing on me that day, nothing. But in reference to your above statement, don't start what you can't stop. :eek:

Rugged,

I know this is off topic and has nothing to do with the discussion of the Cadet 3, but I'll comment anyway.

You were brave!

I'd be afraid to try any of that stuff they sell on the infomercials. In fact I saw some of the "colon cleaners" in the grocery store yesterday when I had to pick up more Metamucil, and I cringed at some of the ingredients in them. They would probably screw my "internals" up more than they are already. I have IBS (which makes a superior functioning toilet critical) so my doctor put me on it several years ago. Things tend to work a lot better with it then before. All it is are ground up psyllium seeds that swell up to a jelly-like consistency. There are no stimulants or chemicals that would cause a reaction like you had with the colon cleanser.

One of the places I lived in during the early '80s (a mobile home park) had polluted water, the landlord knew about it, and did nothing for it until years later when there were septic systems backing up and sewer water running over the lawns (it actually made the 6:00 News several times). When I lived there, the water at times would turn black if the power went off and the system lost pressure. I was sick a lot during that time and never went anywhere without a bottle of Pepto with me. The Medical Department at work had me call the health officer to test the water. He did, and it came back from the lab as "too dirty to be tested". The landlord dropped in on me in a huff, took a sample of my water and it as expected came back clean. That test was for show, and what he really did was to send in water from another source, his own well or bottled water. Soon after that, I moved, and it took at least a year before my gut calmed down. Then years later, the residents sued and took over the park. There was a new community septic system installed, and hopefully a new water source or some sort of water treatment. How a landlord can knowingly allow 125+ families / tenants to drink contaminated water is beyond me. But I am a believer in "what goes around comes around", and one day he'll get his if he hasn't already.

The water here at my cabin comes out of a brook that comes off the mountain. It's probably cleaner than the water from that park where I lived. BUT I don't drink it. I bring in water from home.

achutch

nashkato

Reaction score
For my last of 3 toilet replacements in this house, I am currently debating between $199 complete Cadet 3 elongated, ADA in a box vs.~ $350 Toto EcoDrake elongated, ADA, w/softclose seat. Will let my wife decide.

Wife voted for the EcoDrake because she says the Toto is so much sexier. She hasn't noticed a big difference in performance between our existing Cadet 3 and Totos.

nashkato

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the item number is for the home depot 4019.016 bowl he is reffering to? Im guessing its around ** bucks from his total cost here. I just want to be able to go pick it up or get lowes to price match it.

From what I found out the tank is 112.50 from both lowes and home depot. The bowl is 61 from lowes. That is 173.50+tax so kinda far from the $*** Derek quoted above me.

One year later, I noticed your post and recorded the info on a recent rip to HD. My local store still has the "compact" tank, item 4019.016.020 (last .020 = color code I think). Price is $**.00 here in North Carolina. SKU at HD is 732-312. Sorry this is probably not helpful anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

bcgrote

Reaction score
14" rough in????

We REALLY need a new toilet, our 70's era Norton just can't handle my ladylike eliminations! :eek:

I like the price and the coating on the Cadet 3, as well as the flushing power, and I think I can DIY any adjustments needed in the tank, no sweat.

I measured our current toity to make sure I get a replacement that fits. I measured the rough in distance from the wall to the floor bolts, as I saw on another site. Ummm, I got 14"!!! Is this going to cause a problem with stability? Will I have a 2 inch gap between the toilet and the wall, or ugly lines on my bathroom floor?

I'm going to have the toilet installed by my favorite plumber, after we check and purchase the all in one single unit Cadet 3 ourselves. Could we be in for a HUGE expense regarding subflooring and tile replacement that makes replacing Mrs. Norton unaffordable?

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I for one have never believed the wall is supposed to add any support to a toilet. Just the two tank bolts. I have seen too many toilets away from the wall to think that the wall is supposed to have a necessary part in regards to the toilet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on what's on the floor now, and how it was installed, replacing the toilet may not leave any evidence from the old one, or it could be a major pain. If you install a standard 12" rough toilet , you'll have a big gap behind it. If you buy a 14" toilet, unless it is a Toto model that uses the UniFit adapter, they typically just put a thicker tank on it, and it sticks out further into the room. Toto is the only one that uses the same toilet, and moves it forward or back by selecting the needed adapter (hidden underneath the toilet).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks