American Standard Cadet 3 Three Toilet consumer product review

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Many 3" flappers close quickly. The original Cadet 3 flapper closes quickly too. Since you are only using 1.5 gallons or so, they must be quick, or the whole tank will drain.

Last edited:

rontarbert

Reaction score
Cadet 3 Flapper (Korky)

Thanks Terry. I should have been more specific -- the toilet will not clear waste unless you hold the lever down. I have adjusted the chain with the minimum of slack.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
the toilet will not clear waste unless you hold the lever down. I have adjusted the chain with the minimum of slack.

Well, that sucks.
Guess you have to keep having A/S send you new parts.
Thanks for the update on the Cadet.
What? Just got a call to play softball with my daughter, Later.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have said this time and time again. Adjust the chain. It sounds like you need to slacken it off a little. Cadet 3s are very sensitive to chain adjustment. Get it right and it will be trouble free for years.

My Korky flapper also came with the box opened. But it works just great. There are numerous design improvements over the OEM version. The rubber, the chain, the way the chain attaches to both the flapper and the flush mechanism, and the way the flapper attaches to the overflow tube. All better than the original.

So great, I then pulled my perfectly functioning Fluidmaster 400a and replaced it with a Korky Quietfill, just for the heck of it.

I love plumbing that much.

I like the Quietfill though. It is quieter and I like the float design.

I'm running Toto parts without the price.

But ultimately, I want a toilet that is good enough for an American... what we British call "American Standard".

68americanstandardtoilet.jpg

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
But ultimately, I want a toilet that is good enough for an American... what we British call "American Standard".

So then why are you settling for a Central American Standard?:eek:
Toilets made in a country where many of the people still use buckets for hygiene!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I just installed the TOTO Gwyneth, made in Georgia near Atlanta. It is American.
Almost all to the Toto one-piece toilets are made in the USA.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
It's the quality I am interested in, not where it is made.

Heck, I'd want an American-built toilet as much as I'd want an American-built car.

And for the record, I drive a 1999 Toyota (and so built in Japan).

Needless to say I'd like a Toto built in Japan too.

It's just such a shame that many Toto models for the US market post-1990 (when they built their US plant) are not built in Japan any more. Although I guess the very high end models still are.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's the quality I am interested in, not where it is made.

I don't think you are interested in quality.
Any of the Toto products, no matter where they are made, are better quality than the Mexican Standard Cadet 3 toilet.
But then, since I sell and install thousands of toilets every year, I don't have the same perspective of a homeowner that installed his first toilet from a home center. Yeeha!

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've been installing Toto toilets for 5 years with a 0% callback rate on them!

That's Quality!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
No, you're right. I am not interested purely in quality.

I am interested in price and quality. What we might call "bang for the buck".

That's why I do not drive a Mercedes, do not own a Rolex watch and passed over the chance of a Toto.

I'll just make do with a Toyota, Seiko and a Cadet 3 instead.

But I ain't complaining. Retire a couple of days early or buy a Toto. The choice, for a DIY homeowner, is yours.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Best bang for the buck.

Ian, Only if time is not important.
For a plumbing contractor to send out a truck, with the hope of paying bills at the end of the month, and providing a living wage for the plumber, means that they don't do the trip twice. We install all brands, however, second trips are killing to any business.
If you like spending time at the return counter, Knock your self out.

Jamie put in a home center cadet 3 for a friend of his, the tank lid came chipped from the factory

We sell a few thousand toilets a year, and do installation in the Seattle area. Sometimes we even go out to the Islands.
We can't be bothered with "returns"
A homeowener can stand in line at the return counter all weekend, and that's fine.
But making two trips on a ferry? Never!

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No, you're right. I am not interested purely in quality.

I am interested in price and quality. What we might call "bang for the buck".

That's why I do not drive a Mercedes, do not own a Rolex watch and passed over the chance of a Toto.

I'll just make do with a Toyota, Seiko and a Cadet 3 instead.

But I ain't complaining. Retire a couple of days early or buy a Toto. The choice, for a DIY homeowner, is yours.

It's kind of funny how you use the anologies yet seem to be unfamiliar with the entire Toto line! Lets have a look!

The Neorest MS990CGR AKA Rolex, Rolls Royce
White MSRP $5200

The Lloyd MS934304SF AKA Seiko, Mercedes
White MSRP $1189

The Drake CST743S AKA Swiss Army Watch, Jaguire
White MSRP $318

The Carusoe CST715 AKA Timex, Toyota
White MSRP $201

Now that you are familiar with the Toto line perhaps you will see that all they make is a quality product line from top to bottom a wide product line with availability to everyone... Whether you are a Billionaire or just an everyday working stiff like you and me!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Unlike Am. Std. Toto has not built a Yugo or, $5 Chinese watch in their line!

yugo-gv.jpg

Achutch

Reaction score
I have said this time and time again. Adjust the chain. It sounds like you need to slacken it off a little. Cadet 3s are very sensitive to chain adjustment. Get it right and it will be trouble free for years.

My Korky flapper also came with the box opened. But it works just great. There are numerous design improvements over the OEM version. The rubber, the chain, the way the chain attaches to both the flapper and the flush mechanism, and the way the flapper attaches to the overflow tube. All better than the original.

So great, I then pulled my perfectly functioning Fluidmaster 400a and replaced it with a Korky Quietfill, just for the heck of it.

I love plumbing that much.

I like the Quietfill though. It is quieter and I like the float design.

I'm running Toto parts without the price.

68americanstandardtoilet.jpg

Ahhhh! The "New Compact" !! I remember that ad quite well, around 1968 !! At the tender age of 14, my friend and I got quite a kick out of that ad. (Of course we liked the names that were given to their earlier models, especially the "Standard" EJECTO. I have only experienced the New Compact once, over 30 years ago (and I did try the Vent-Away). I remember the old "Standard" Compact and have seen and used many more of those.

Ahhh, the good old days....

achutch

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
On February 2008, American Standard Americas merged with two other plumbing fixture companies, Crane Plumbing and Eljer to create American Standard Brands.

American Standard Brands is a closely held manufacturer of plumbing fixtures, sold under the American Standard, Crane, Fiat, Sanymetal, Showerite and Eljer brand names, based in Piscataway Township, New Jersey, United States. It is principally owned by Sun Capital Partners with Bain Capital Partners holding a minority stake.

rontarbert

Reaction score

You are correct about critical chain adjustment. I thought that I had all the slack out but was able to move one more link (less slack) and now it works. Thanks to you for your help and to Terry for the very helpful site.:)
RonT

Albany

Reaction score
I have 3 toilets in my house. I bought a Drake a few weeks ago & hired a plumber to install it in my main bathroom. I had my smaller round bowl Ultramax moved from the full bath to the 1st floor half bath to replace a cheap toilet there. I also decided to replace the toilet I have in the bathroom in the (unfinished) basement. The plumber bought a Cadet 3 to install in the basement since I didn't want to spend Toto $ on a bathroom that is hardly ever used. So for the past week & 1/2 I have a brand new Drake and a brand new Cadet 3. Both are performing flawlessly, but in the long run, the Drake will get a lot more use. I'll report back if either toilet has any problems, but right now, I'm satisfied with both, although I wouldn't feel too comfortable with an AS toilet as my #1 used one after having a real bad experience with the Champion. In fact, when the plumber said he got me an American Standard Cadet, my first words were to stop him before he could get out the word Cadet and said "If it's The Champion, please return it, the Champion is the worst toilet ever made."

Last edited:

budmeister

Reaction score
Cadet 3 defective flapper

We installed a Cadet 3 8 months ago and for the most part, it's been sensational. However, in the last few weeks, we'd hear the tank "topping" up as we approached it. I finally dropped a die tab in the tank and it soon was obvious that the flapper was leaking. I turned off the water, lifted the flapper and felt little bumps on the surface of the rubber ring.

I went to the plumb shop where I bought the toilet, and right away I was told that this was an ongoing issue with American Standard. It seems that the rubber ring is laminated and little "blisters" develop on the surface, causing it to slowly leak down to where the valve opens to top it up.

They gave me a flapper that they have been replacing the defective ones with, because the OEM replacement is in short supply apparently and simply asked me to return the defective one to the store the next time I'm in the area.

BTW, the "area" is London Ontario. The plumb shop is Kitchen & Bath Emporium. Great people to deal with.

attachment.php

FoxHome01

Reaction score
We had the AS Cadet III installed a few months back and at first it was great. Then we started to hear a clanking noise at the conclusion of the flush. That sound has recently stopped (for the most part), but now we are getting a gurgling sound as the water drains from the toilet.

Any chance anyone else who has this model has had this experience?

Is it possible that this wasn't installed properly?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
We had the AS Cadet III installed a few months back and at first it was great. Then we started to hear a clanking noise at the conclusion of the flush. That sound has recently stopped (for the most part), but now we are getting a gurgling sound as the water drains from the toilet.

Any chance anyone else who has this model has had this experience?

Is it possible that this wasn't installed properly?
Sounds like a ballcock problem to me, for both your cases. Check to see that the refill tube is inserted into the overflow tube. You may have a lack of water in the bowl before flushing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks