(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: American Standard Cadet 3 Three Toilet consumer product review

Jamie that is why the only Central American Standard items I install are customer supplied, after I warn them that if its defective I still charge to install it.

I will give them a 2nd job discount on the second one if they hurry getting back!

I installed two AS Cadet comfort height elongated toilets in my home in November of '05. Both still flushing perfectly, no leaks, no complaints.

The Cadet 3 came out in 2007
    In 2005 they had pressure assist Cadets and 2" flush valve Cadets.
    Last edited by Terry; 04-01-2008 at 07:35 PM.

Default AS Cadet 3

Hi,

New to the forum but have been lurking for weeks.

I see all the positive comments folks have on the AS Cadet 3. As I look online, I see models with pressure assist and others without. Would you all recommend I get the model with pressure assist?

Thanks

Cadet 3 tank with flapper
    Last edited by Terry; 04-01-2008 at 10:28 PM.

Positive comments???
    Did I make any of those???

Pressure assisted is not something I would recommend to anybody!
    I even have taken them out of commercial applications and had happy customers!

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

They've changed the flapper position compared to my early 2007 vintage!

Mine is straight on. That flapper is angled, with the hinge top-right. I bet that stops the problems I had when I first installed the toilet with the flapper staying open.

It puts less pressure on the tank lever... They were probably breaking.

How many plumbers out there are willing to donate 2 hours out of their day, because the factory is making mistakes?
    I bought an American Standard Cadet 3 from Lowes. When I got home and unpacked it the toilet seat was missing; I got the one that was supposed to come with everything. I called Lowes and they said to come by and they would give me a seat from another box, which they did.

I went to install the tank and it was finished so badly that the tank cover did not cover part of the tank in front that is supposed to have the glazed finish. . Toilet was marked made in Mexico. So the question is do the Chinese make better toilets?

I think I may get another brand, it appears this model has quality control problems.

So which Toto is comparable in performance to the Cadet 3?
    The TOTO Drake is recommended by plumbers
    Drake 800 grams by Veritech Video
    Last edited by Terry; 11-08-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tjfaenza View Post
    Hi,

New to the forum but have been lurking for weeks.

I see all the positive comments folks have on the AS Cadet 3. As I look online, I see models with pressure assist and others without. Would you all recommend I get the model with pressure assist?

Thanks
    You don't need the pressure-assisted one. I have a regular Cadet 3 and it really flushes well.

Comments by readers Reader Review's Avatar
    Emails and phone calls sent in by readers

For whatever reason this tank could not be tightened as designed. I was able to tighten it so tight that the tank was on the bowl on only one side. I did tighten it incrementally but with no success. I must have tried tightening it a dozen times before I finally said ok that's enough. I returned it to Lowes.

I know the Cadet 3 are recommended by people on the board but I think that American Standard lacks a quality control department.

The other Cadet 3 that I returned to Lowes yesterday lacked glazing on part of the tank that was very visable with the tank cover in place. It also lacked a seat which was to be included. They did give me a seat but like I say I ended up returning it anyway because of the lack of glaze.

The same person handled my return yesterday handled the one today. I asked her if they get a lot of returns on American Standard and she said yes.
    Ron in SC
    Last edited by Terry; 12-14-2008 at 08:37 AM.

You are right about the quality controll but for double the $$$ you can get a Toto and not have the problems although no toilet Mfg. is perfect...some are just better than others.

I have yet to have a problem with the tank on any Cadet 3 I have installed.

The tank leaning to one side is almost always because of starting wrong.

Grading the best toilets, the ones that work!
    Last edited by Terry; 05-03-2009 at 11:41 AM.

For whatever reason this tank could not be tightened as designed. I was able to tighten it so tight that the tank was on the bowl on only one side. I did tighten it incrementally but with no success. I must have tried tightening it a dozen times before I finally said ok that's enough. I returned it to Lowes.

I know the Cadet 3 are recommended by people on the board but I think that American Standard lacks a quality control department.

The other Cadet 3 that I returned to Lowes lacked glazing on part of the tank that was very visable with the tank cover in place. It also lacked a seat which was to be included. They did give me a seat but like I say I ended up returning it anyway because of the lack of glaze.

The same person handled my eariler retern handled this one too. I asked her if they get a lot of returns on American Standard and she said yes.

I think these Cadet 3 toliets are more trouble than they are worth.

You are entitled to your opinion and while there are better toilets the Cadet 3 works well in most cases, but they do have quality control issues.

I don't know if you tried repositioning the tank. If you did it would be odd that it kept ending up tilted to the same side, but if it couldn't be installed right so be it.

I don't know if you tried repositioning the tank.
    I did try repositioning the tank, I even put a like softsoap on the gasket hoping that would let it seat itself better but had no success.

I am not a professional and perhaps a professional could have installed it properly.

Edited:
    I just went ahead and bought a Toto Drake and installed it with little effort.
    Last edited by ron in sc; 04-08-2008 at 11:04 AM.

Default quality control in AS toilets

This is second hand information, but my contractor went to a expo where american standard was demonstrating toilets. In the conversation, he asked if there was any difference between the toilets sold in the large big box stores (Lowes/Home depot). He said that there is a difference... the quality control specifications/tolerances are a little bit looser when they are sold to these stores because of pricing issues. As I understand the thickness of porecelin/finishing specifications/level is a little looser. The toilets sent to plumbing wholesalers tend to be a little better. I was actually amazed that an AS rep admitted this- but it makes sense that the factory would release a model that was not up to normal standards and a little off to a large retailer for a cheaper price- I guess this would be higher end seconds...

Default Reply to quality control in AS toilets & achutch's review of the Cadet 3

I am not totally surprised that the big box stores are selling factory seconds.

My Cadet 3 came from a big box store. I have no problem with its performance, but there were some quality issues with several of the bowls, and it took the opening of several boxes until I found one that was acceptable.

(There is no question that Toto is the best. I have a Drake and love it. Would have loved to have tried an Aquia or Soiree. I have only seen 3 Toto toilets set up: my own, one in the plumbing supply house where I purchased my Drake, and one several years ago in a restroom, pre G-Max. We do not have many Toto dealers in Vermont.

But I purchased the Cadet 3 simply to save some money to allow for some other work in the bathroom, much of it involving paint and decorating. I bought it with full knowledge from this forum that there could be some issues. You were right!!

In my case, the tank, made in Mexico, was flawless.

The bowls, all made in the US, had quality issues.

The first bowl rocked because of a slight projection on the bottom between the horn and the front part of the base that hadn't been trimmed, UNACCEPTABLE. That one was returned.

The second bowl didn't rock and the projection was trimmed out. However, there was a gross imperfection of a seam inside the bowl at the bottom where the water goes out which had been permanently stained blue (fired in), UNACCEPTABLE. So in late afternoon during rush hour, it got returned. I, now quite cross, informed the person at the return desk that I expected a rep from the plumbing department to meet with me, and together we would inspect every Cadet 3 bowl until I found one that was acceptable.

After looking at another bowl and finding a flaw in the glazing in the same area as bowl #2, the plumbing rep brought down a pallet of Cadet 3 bowls. Luckily, the first box he opened contained an acceptable bowl, though not flawless. Bowl #4 was brought home, is now up and running, and to its credit, it works well.

Late last year, I helped my neighbor install a round bowl version of the Cadet 3, and in January, installed an ADA height model (like mine) for my father. There were no issues with either, and I've received rave reviews from both Dad and neighbor.

So I guess it's hit or miss with the Cadet 3, and I can understand why professionals such as Terry, Redwood, Hj, etc. cannot risk the loss of time, money, or reputation on a product that is lacking in quality.
    Last edited by Terry; 12-14-2008 at 08:38 AM.