(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kaboom Toilet bowl cleaner

Question Kaboom Toilet bowl cleaner

I was wondering about a new toilet bowl cleaner from Kaboom that hooks into the parts in the toilet tank. It is called "Kaboom Never Scrub." It sounds good but I am wondering if it would damage the plumbing, or parts inside the tank. Has anyone had any experience with this product? I have a Toto Clayton model toilet.

It probably hooks into the refill tube . I don't know if this violates backflow prevention requirements, but they are widely sold. I have never seen any study that said any of these things, including the infamous blue stuff, actually do any good in the toilet bowl.

I've had experience, using on an old Am. Standard toilet and can state it works well for three months, with no need for cleaning the bowl. I have a new Toto ultramax and am considering using another device on it, BUT I have the same questions as you. The chemical is a form of solid chlorine bleach, and I somehow doubt that a bleach solution can damage the finish. A few drops of the bleach solution also drop into the tank through the device's anti-syphon valve during each flush, and I imagine that that amount is insignificant as far as its effect on the flushing mechanism. -=Art=-

Art33-check your Toto owner's manual about the bleach because back in July we got a Toto Drake and the manual had some blurb in there about not using cleaners with bleach. It stuck out to me because I had always poured chlorine bleach into my bowl and swished it all around and let in set a few minutes as my method of cleaning my old toilet. Now I use Clorox toilet cleaner with Teflon because Terry recommended it. Of course, I have to clean more often than every 3 months with this cleaner! I can't remember the exact wording in the manual and I can't find my manual at this exact time, but I can look around for it if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by newowner
    Art33-check your Toto owner's manual about the bleach because back in July we got a Toto Drake and the manual had some blurb in there about not using cleaners with bleach. <snip> I can't remember the exact wording in the manual and I can't find my manual at this exact time, but I can look around for it if you want.
    Thanks. I have the manual and it states "Warning! Do not use in-tank bowl cleaners. The use of high-concentration chlorine or chlorine-related products can seriously damage the rubber / plastic fittings in the tank. . . . (plus other remarks about *fittings*)" The Kaboom contraption dispenses its chemical thru the "overflow" or fill tube and so bypasses the fittings. The only question would seem to be is whether or not a chlorine solution will harm the finish of the bowl.

Default kaboom

It is almost impossible to damage the surface of the bowl, unless you use an etching acid. We clean them with muriatic acid.

Art-thanks for clarifying the manual was talking about fittings and in-tank cleaners.

Thank you for the responces. It sounds like the Kaboom product would by-pass the rubber/plastic fittings but I would still be concerned with that warning in the manual. Years ago there was a product put out by 1000 Flushes that was a small bucket of chlorine like stones. You put that in the water in the back tank. It work wonderfully but it was taken off the market. I always wondered if it was environmental issues or some deteriation of the toilet parts. I never had any problems with and it made the bathroom smell fresh and the toilet bowl was always clean. The Kaboom product looks similar but set up differently, however I don't want to damage my Toto toilet.

Default bowl cleaner

I've installed the similar Fluidmaster product in our new toilets:

http://www.fluidmaster.com/care_products_main.html

Bleach goes into the bowl and not the tank. Seems to work fairly well and replacement cleaner cartridges are readily available.

-Dog ...

maddog---interesting link, and looks promising. But the video had the mysterious phrase, "fits most 2 piece toilets like this . . ." What's the difference, between 1 vs. 2 piece toilets regarding the flushing mechanism??? My new 1 piece Toto Ultramax appears identical to my 2 piece toilets except for the way the tank "connects" to the bowl. What difference should this make with regard to the flushing mechanism and the way the cleaning device works????

I'm interested in products that actually work. Experience tells me all this stuff just doesn't....and why introduce more/new chemicals in your home?

I am going to try the New Kaboom bowl cleaner that bubbles up effervescent. It just makes sense that the bubbling action would soften up bowl scum.
    I'll get back to you on this soon.

The only product I've seen discussed here that a Lot of people tried and like is
    the *Chlorox brand with Teflon.* It's no magic cleaner--it simply makes the bowl more slick and slippery and thats why it works.

I'm on septic so I use a light bleach wash in bowl about every 2 months just to keep excessive bacteria buildup in check.

I also use a Calcium/Lime/Rust bowl cleaner about once per month. (Gel formula)-our water is excessively mineral ladden.

Mike

Here is a bathroom/kitchen cleaner that will work *Better* than whatever you are using and saves money:

mix:
    1/3 isopropyl rubbing alcohol
    1/3 White Vinegar
    1/3 Water

in large spray bottle. I've never used anything that works as good for about 25 cents. It even works on plastic or inside of microwave ovens.
    Caution on any pourous, corian,exotic alloy metals etc where you may need specialty cleaners.

We have very hard water and the toilet in my master bathroom seems to get a film in it, within a day of scrubbing it clean. It is an older toilet (Artesian) that I am willing to experiment with. I put the "Kaboom Never Scrub" in as directed. (It is very similar to the Fluidmaster mentioned by Maddog) It has been in over a week now and is working great! No "poop stains," as my kids says. The bathroom smells fresh. I have not had to srub at all and there is no film building up! It remains to be seen if there is any long term affects on the toilet parts. I am still nervous to try it in my new Toto Clayton toilet which unfortunately has problems with frequent "poop stains!!" (It seems too little water in the bowl to prevent them.) I would appreciate any further comments or advice. Thanks.

I am on a septic system. I would be concerned with using a regular chlorine drip into the toilets. Anyone have any hard information about spetic system tolerance for these cleaners?

I am on a septic system too. I didn't think small amt of chlorine would hurt it. But I am not certain. Did you see what Mike50 wrote about adding chlorine every few months to prevent bacteria build up in the septic? Although, I thought that was how the septic worked. The bacteria broke down the sewage. The kaboom product is a solid form of chlorine that the water washes over so I think it is a small amt of chlorine released with each flush. Can someone advise us regarding the septic issue. I am still loving how that "kaboom never scrub" is working so I hope it is not ruining the septic. I am thinking of calling costumer service at Toto to get advice about using with my Clayton.