Leaking Foundation by Main Water Shut Off

Users who are viewing this thread

GerryAsh

Reaction score
I'm over my head... can somebody shed some light.

My main water supply comes in through my basement foundation wall.
It sits about 2 feet below grade. From time to time over the past 18 years there has been a water drop or 2 that has trickeled down the foundation wall at the hole where the water supply pipe comes into the house.
This winter there is way more water. Now I have a minor stream when the rains come.

Do I caulk the crap out of it, do I replace the old pipe, how do you waterproof such a thing? Or is this the job for a real plumber?
:confused:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only way I've had success in sealing this type of leak is with hydraulic cement. You buy it in quart size cans. This will require that you open some space around the pipe as deeply as possible, making sure to get all of the loose pieces out. You mix a small amount at a time and immediately pack it into the space. It will work even with water coming in, in fact it needs some moisture to work properly. It sets up quickly, so you will need to work fast and mix a new batch if your supply sets up before you use it. If the pipe needs replacing, obviously this is the time to do that. When I had my water supply line replaced about 15 years ago, the plumbers used some kind of caulk, but it did not seal very well. I cleaned their caulk out and used the hydraulic cement. It's never even shown any moisture even though there is sometimes water stand outside. Be sure to follow the directions on the can of cement and use heavy rubber gloves, this stuff is loaded with lime, and it will burn your hands without proper protection.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Make sure down leaders from gutters [if You have them] are tite lined away from found. Chances found. drainage was not done properly.
Give the Hyd. cement a try, but the cause needs to be addressed.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with both Gary and Tool. The hydraulic cement (quickcrete, sakrete, water plug, et al) should seal up the leak, but you have to address why there's water around your foundation in the first place. The cement will put a bandaid on the hemhorrage, but eventually that water WILL find a way to get in due to the tremendous amount of hydraulic pressure against your foundation walls. Check your downspouts, the grade of the surrounding soil at the foundation....anything at all that could impede waterflow away from the house.

Cheers!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If for some reason that doesn't work...which it should.... you may have to seal the foundation on the outside where the pipe enters it.

Where I am all water services have to be inspected and one thing they check for is to be sure the foundation is sealed on the outside not just inside.

I would also wait...if you can...until the water stops flowing to open and seal the hole.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Not to continue a running battle, but if you stop the bleeding in the arm and the leg starts next, you havent solved the underlying problem. Sure the hydraulic cement will stop the leak THERE, but what about the next weakest spot? Bottom line is there shouldnt be that much hydraulic pressure on the foundation to begin with which is THE problem. The leak around the pipe is a symptom, not the disease.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Here in the bay area [S F ] the Geo Tex rule

Drainage ,compaction ,detail on down spout water disposal ,are all documented
By a soils engs. We get a good education. The situation on this thread is a failure. Someone didn't know,or care ,or both! WE do a lot of this work.
Also the we compact the upper soil and pitch to drain. WE never went this route back East.It all cost money!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks