Wall mount Faucet Soldering

Users who are viewing this thread

ChrisNJ

Reaction score
Hi Folks!
I'm brand new here and I have a question.

I am trying to solder this fitting:

to a brass in-wall faucet manifold and I can't get the solder to flow. I'm using a MAPP gas torch, flux, and 95 5 solder. I clean the fittings and the manifold like normal, flux 'em, heat the fitting not the manifold, and it just wont go :mad:

What SHOULD I be doing that I'm not. Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks!

ChrisNJ

Reaction score
Actually, upon closer examination, it may be brass. It has a chrome finish to it though. Is that messing everything up?

ChrisNJ

Reaction score
Any suggestions then? It is a sweat type fitting? Is there an alternative method? What can I say, I'm new at this.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
chrome

You have to remove the chrome where you want to solder it. But it might be a lot easier just to buy a copper reducer like that one. What is the purpose of the fitting?

ChrisNJ

Reaction score
Well, I have an assembly for a Belle Forret wall mount faucet. I need to join 1/2inch copper from the basement to the assembly. The pipe won't line up. Now, I've decided I'm gonna try and bend the pipe comin up from the basement with heat and ten just use a regular old copper union, rather than that funky thing I was gonna try.

Heating bending copper just a little bit is ok, right? I'm learning as I go :-D Any input would be great.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
While I have seen hard copper heated up to red hot then bent just as you would soft copper, I personally find it to look like a hack job. I would just get a couple of 45s and/or a 45 and street 45 to offset the copper where it needs to be.

As far as soldering that fitting, its like HJ said, you have to remove the chrome from your soldering surface. Anyone who's worked in Kentucky and has used chromed traps can testify to this.

Good luck

ChrisNJ

Reaction score
45s

That sounds like a plan. I hope the Lowes around here is still open. Once I get this thing sweated and in there, I'll take a cople of pics so you guys can tell me what I should have done . . . hahahahah. Thanks! :)

Racer814

Reaction score
just make sure you are plumb and level coming out of the wall....

check it two or three times.....any variance will be magnified when you install the trim...and give it good support

good luck

ChrisNJ

Reaction score
Racer - My guess is you've done this before. This is my wife an I's first remodel project, and she really wanted a wall mount faucet so I said "ok, I can do it". Hopefully, I will be able to make it happen :)

Any other helpfull hints you could provide?

Racer814

Reaction score
you can do it...they look great.

mostly just make sure it is level and plumb....and supprted well....you want it to feel rock solid!

just take your time:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks