(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Bathroom fan vent type

Engineering Technician The old college try's Avatar

Default Bathroom fan vent type

Does anyone know if one type of vent is better than the other for a bathroom fan (flexible metal, solid wall, plastic, etc.)? I've heard that some are noisier than others. Am I over-thinking this?

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

The closer the actual fan or blower is to the ear, the "noisier" it is going to seem. The slower blower is definitely going to be quieter than the high-speed fan, and even blade types and materials can help make a difference. An in-line blower/fan located a distance away from the ceiling intake can be the quietest while still maintaining a certain flow, and I have heard insulated, flexible ducting can help reduce the sound that telegraphs back to the intake. However, and especially for dryer vents, smooth walls inside the ducting can be crucial to avoding the accumulation of condensation.

Are we over-thinking this? In my own case, and with a total of three new bathrooms to eventually complete here, I just quit thinking about it and bought some relatively inexpensive Marleys with 70 cfm fans that run around 3 sones ... about the same as my tinitis, I believe!
    Last edited by leejosepho; 02-24-2007 at 09:17 AM.

Engineering Technician The old college try's Avatar

Thanks for your help. I'll use the solid galvanized duct that I have.