tiling directly to bathtub sides

Users who are viewing this thread

Ken Tannenbaum

Reaction score
I want to tile up the broad side of an old steel bathtub and have cut wonder
board to size. I plan to attach the board using construction adhesive. Will that be sufficient or should it be screwed down also? If so, what any thoughts on the drill bit type is appreciated. Thanks!

Ken Tannenbaum

Reaction score
Also. this is a cast iron tub in a 40/50 year old apartment building...I don't expect the tub can or will ever shift.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't think const. adhesive is rated for underwater use. You could probably stick the tiles directly to the tub with thinset; but is the tub wall a perfectly flat plane?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
outside wall, OK

Ken you have said "face" so I guess this is the inside.

How do plan to cut for the curves and gradual changes of plane?

Although many will tell you not to do it, it is worth figuring out how to do it so that it lasts permanently and looks good the whole time. Epoxy tile cement as a setting bed adn grout instead of Portland cement grout and thinset -- that is worth considering. Then you wouldn't need the wonderboard either.

david

Last edited:

Prashster

Reaction score
Ask the question on John Bridge. Someone will steer you to the right thinset.
I think the idea is loopy too, but if yr gonna do it, why mess around with wonderboard; just tile directly to the tub.

Ken Tannenbaum

Reaction score
Appreciate the replies...the tub is not completely flat, that's the reason for the cement board...ALSO, this is the OUTSIDE of the tub, not the inside.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Boy did we blow that! I think we all assumed you wanted to tile the inside of the tub! Hence the funny "looks"!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks