Are these bathroom rough-in dimensions correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

mhuffman

Reaction score
I am finishing off a basement where the builder has the bathroom roughed in. I question the dimensions and would like others to review them for me. There are four stubs in the concrete floor. One is directly up against a block foundation wall which is to be the vanity drain. The toilet stub is away from the same block foundation wall 16". The tub enclosure stub (in an 8x16 hole) is 60" from the same block foundation wall. And the fourth stub is alongside the tub stub and is the vent pipe. I question the dimension of the tub enclosure wall, I think it is too close. I want to add a stud wall in front of the block foundation wall. The vanity and toilet allow for a 4" stud wall, but I don't think the tub enclosure stub does. My tub enclosure directions call for the stub to be 2" from the edge, which would make the dimension to the other end 58". This is a standard 60" enclosure. That only leaves 2" for the stud wall. A 2" wall doesn't leave me enough space to run the vent pipes down. Would I have to offset the wall, 4" by the vanity and toilet and 2" by the tub? The wall for the other side of the room can be positioned anywhere. Also, the tub stub is 17" from the perpendicular wall. Or should I opt for a 57" tub enclosure? Give me your ideas. Thanks. You may respond here or email me direct.

dgreen1069

Reaction score
I believe a standard tub is 60". The drain is not at the very edge of the tub, probably 6-8" in. I think you will be fine. What is the space between the shower stub and the toilet stub? You need at least 15" of clearance between them.

My rough-ins were spaced too close together. I did not want to put my 2x4 wall too close to the foundation....I wanted to leave a gap so I didn't compress the insulation. I was left with only 10 1/2 inches between the wall and the center of the toilet flange. I was forced to use a 10" rough in toilet. I also wanted to use a 34"x48" shower base, but that only left 13 1/2 inches between the center of the toilet and the side wall for the shower. I ended up moving my shower drain over about 8 inches. It really wasn't that bad of a job except for my friend nicking a 3" pipe that was directly under the 2" shower drain pipe. I fixed that, but it gave me heart burn :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

Dgreen, the location of the trap is usually at the wall, you are refering to the opening in the bottom of the tub, and that has nothing to do with where the pipe should be located.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks