Advice on running new main drain pipe in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

clifforddog1

Reaction score
Hello all,

Our main waste pipe inside the house (old cast iron) is broken in several places and needs to be replaced.

I'm going to break up the floor and take out the old pipe (I'm in construction) and replace it with 4" PVC.

Just thought I'd see if anyone has any tips for me in this venture, as I mentioned I'm in construction and work as a stone mason so I can break up the floor alright.

I need to replace everywhere inside the house to the clean out in the garage. (about 30 linear feet)

I have a few questions:

1. Is 1/4 inch drop per inch okay for drainage?
2. When I come to existing pipe I want to salvage or join into is there a special trick to not breaking pipe your wanting to join into? (bad wording I know)
3. Any other tips you have appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
1/4"/foot is fine - more is okay, too.

removing CI from a leaded connection is a pain (I've only done it a couple of times, so I'm no expert). Connecting the PVC to the CI hub is fairly easy, if you can find the right Fernco doughnut. CI apparantly is made in three sizes - normal, HD, and who knows. I had one "normal" and one who knows in my endeavor. The HD doughnut was still about 1/4" too small. The "normal" one fit in well. Basically, it is a rubber doughnut and a (tight) press fit into the hub.

If the pipe is fine near the hub, use a snap cutter leaving a stub and use a no hub connector - much easier than trying to remove the pipe from the leaded connection.

I'd excavate enough to allow you to use the snap cutter to break it into small enough sections you can more easily manage. If it is really swiss cheese, you might end up crushing it, but that is okay too.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks