Shower trim kit for Delta 1500/1700

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnBob

Reaction score
We are finishing a remodel our guest bathroom. The house was constructed in 1996 and the bathtub has a Delta Monitor single handle faucet with separate volume and temperature controls. The finish is shot and we want to replace it and in a stainless steel or brushed nickel finish. The cartridge needs replacing as well since it leaks a little from the faucet. The problem is we can't find anything even at our local plumbing supply. They tell me it is a model 1500 with a 1700 trim. Lowes has a kit from Danco, but it looks crummy and cheap and is not the correct handle. The cartridge has a hexagonal lug where the handle engages and all the new Delta stuff uses splines instead of the hexagonal lug. Does anyone have any idea where we can get just a trim kit to fulfill our wishes? Certainly that would be cheaper than getting a plumber to do this (I think there is enough room to pull and replace the valve through the tile hole behind the big trim plate without cutting a hole in the hallway wall to access from behind)???

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to find a plumbing supply house that sells Delta. The new valve trim will fit the old valve but it comes with a new style cartridge that won't fit your old valve.

JohnBob

Reaction score
Thanks Cass, but the plumbing supply house I was in does sell Delta and I spoke not only with three salesmen, but also went back and talked with the sales manager who has nearly 20 years experience and he explained the problem to me as Delta has changed all their valves in the last 6 months and nothing of the new works with the old. So if I correctly follow what you posted, I still can't interchange new trim with the old valve even if I go for a new cartridge because the new cartridge won't fit the old valve. In other words, I still need to get an entirely new valve, cartridge and trim...right? By the way, the new style handles engage on a splined stem on the cartridge whereas as the old style handle engages/mounts on a hexagonal stem on the cartridge...they do not appear interchangeable.

Dan Pick

Reaction score
JohnBob

It sounds like you have the "Old Style" 1500 Monitor valve. Are the two screws that hold on the escutcheon both at the bottom or are they at 2 and 8 0'clock?

If they are 2 and 8 a new 1700 series trim kit should fit. If they are both at the bottom you can only get replacement parts.......i.e. no stainless or pearl nickel.

delta-rp29405.jpg

delta-1700-series-2.jpg

delta-1700-series-3.jpg

https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts-product-detail?modelNumber=RP29405#specsTab

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnBob

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply Dan. Indeed, the screws that hold the escutcheon plate are at a diagonal at 2 and 8 o'clock. So where do I go to get a 1700 series trim kit? Do I go to the Delta website since my local supplier apparently doesn't know that a 1700 series trim kit exists?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
1500 to 1700 conversion kit

it should be pretty easy to get the conversion
kit for the 1500 faucet....

if you just wanted the trim for a delta 1500 faucet
I still have those laying around....in chrome ..

your only problem is wanting to change it to brushed

SS or Nickle... that could be a big problem...

if you stuck with the common chrome its easy as pie..

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you can't find a SS trim kit PM me and I can get it for you.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Delta

Delta has changed their faucets, but from what I can see, the visible parts are all the same as the old ones. Even the internals seem to be the same, the only difference being that the body in the wall that needs "adapters" to make the various versions work.

Sammy Jay

Reaction score
Call Delta

If you are the original home owner, (they will ask that and what you use to clean it DON'T say any type of cleaners they say only a soapy rag or it will void the warranty) delta will send you the conversion kit with the valve and chrome trim for free then you have to find the stainless trim. I just did it on two in my house built in 1997 so it is probably common after 10 years to need a rebuild. I'm not a plumber but it was easy to do I just had problems getting the bonnet nut off and delta said to soak a rag in vinegar and wrap it around the nut it didn’t work so I put heat to the bonnet nut and gently used a pair of channel locks. A new nut comes with the kit. Hope this helps.

Sam

filip0601

Reaction score
1500 series trim

I know it is 5 years later, but if by any chance you still have a new old stock 1500 series trim available , I would be interested. I too have a gold ugly one and it feels expensive to change from 1500 to 1700 when everything works. I just want to upgrade the look. Thank you.

kdharvey

Reaction score

Hello Master Plumber Mark...I know this is an old post. Any chance you still have rim for the delta 1500 faucet?

Stephanie D

Reaction score

Master Plumber Mark, if you have any more trim kits in chrome, I need one! PM or email me (sdupaul@richmond.edu). Thank you!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I will have to look into my junk pile , I KNOW that I have the face plates but they come with the install screws below the handle and they also come with the screws on the face plate with one of them at about 2oclock and the other one about 8 o clock

let me know which ones you need

Stephanie D

Reaction score
I will have to look into my junk pile , I KNOW that I have the face plates but they come with the install screws below the handle and they also come with the screws on the face plate with one of them at about 2oclock and the other one about 8 o clock

let me know which ones you need
I need the old faceplate, which had the install screws below the handle (at about 5 oclock and 7oclock) and the bonnet nut and handle - basically everything you see. It's ridiculous that Delta can't help with this!

Stephanie D

Reaction score
I need the old faceplate, which had the install screws below the handle (at about 5 oclock and 7oclock) and the bonnet nut and handle - basically everything you see. It's ridiculous that Delta can't help with this!
Found the handle, etc., here, now all I lack is the silver face plate - the older one with the two screws on the bottom. Also, the older ones are about 1 inch proud of the wall - the newer ones are flatter, and it looks like the hole isn't quite as large. My fingers are crossed that you have one!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks