Plastic (Marathon/Rheem Richmond) water heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

Mitymurph

Reaction score
Does anyone have in use a Marathon or Richmond water heater? They are plastic and will not rust out.

I am considering buying one.

I have heard stories elsewhere that they are hard on heating elements.

The benefit of anyones experience would be most appreciated.

Jim

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Plastic

The only good about them is that they are light enough to carry around. It is probably a "lifetime" water heater, but that just means that when it goes bad, if you registered it, they will give you a new one and you have it installed. The connection points to the heater are usually made with gasketed connections that have a tendency to fail.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Have one, but cannot give you a long term report. HJ is most likely right on the warranty. However, in the US the warranty must be honored regardless of registration. Also, note that the lifetime is on the tank.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
warrantee

Not always. The lifetime warranty on State and AO Smith, at least, has to be registered. Sears only warrantees their plastic lifetime heater to the original purchaser.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
hj,

They may say you have to return the registration card. But, I believe you will find that a warranty claim cannot be refused to a consumer in the US due to the fact that the card was not returned. Warranty cards have been used as a ploy to gather data since the public believes that they must be returned.

Mitymurph

Reaction score
Experience?

PEW:

I have only been able to locate a Marathon to be shipped in. Home Depot will order a Richmond if I want. I really would like to find one to touchy feely, but it looks like I will have to go on blind faith. So, I would like to ask a few questions about your limited experience.
Are you satisfied with the quality?
Where did you get it?
About what is the height of the ring/bulge around the bottom?
Any other observations will be most appreciated.

I have found that plumbers do not like them. I am sure the bad mouthing is based on the fact that he longevity of the tank would cut into their business.

Jim

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

Not really. They have to replaced about as frequently as the other tanks, and we do not care if you pay for it or get it free. Your biggest problem when one fails may be finding the replacement.

Mitymurph

Reaction score
hj; about replacement

HJ:

For what kind of failures do you replace these Marathon type plastic heaters?

I appreciate your help.

Jim

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks