Leaky American Standard

Users who are viewing this thread

Frank Wyatt

Reaction score
I have an old American Standard shower with two handles (H/C) and the diverter in the spout. Started leaking so I went to local building supply and purchased what I thought were exact replacements.
Installed them...opps!
Now there is hardly any water coming through the faucet and if I loosen the threaded ring that holds the stem, the water flow increases but the handles just keep turning and you can't turn them all the way off.
Looks like an exact replacement would fix it but it didn't.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Did you replace the complete stem assemblies? Part of the stem assemblies? I think I know which faucet your talking about. Please restate what you have done. Or a pic. would help.....

Frank Wyatt

Reaction score
I replaced the entire stem except for the threaded collar that holds it in the shower unit. I also replaced the tiny threaded collar inside the shower unit. Its what the rubber seal goes up against.
I replaced it with a stem by Danco made in China. I did find a blurb online that said the China/Taiwan pieces would not work and I should use an American made replacement. There was sonething about the rubber seal not working.
Any help is apppreciated.

Dan Pick

Reaction score
OEM Seats

I know you've heard it before but you do get what you pay......usually.

I know Delta parts better than others and I personally know they have spent millions of dollars perfecting the size, shape, configuration, material formulation and durometer of their seats. They have been tweaking the recipe since 1953. I don't think some China sweat shop with dirt floors is going to match their quality. Bottom line Buy the manufacturers replacement parts.

Good Luck

Frank Wyatt

Reaction score
Thanks for the input but I been trying to buy the best. Does anyone know how I can get authentic American Standard replacement parts?
Even our local plumbers use the Danco replacements saying they are all the area distributors carry. I've even checked a number of places on the Internet and they all carry Danco.
I even went to the American Standard website but all they carry and cover are the most recent models and mine are at least 20 years old.
Any help will be appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks