Craftsman shallow well jet pump

Users who are viewing this thread

katenjoe

Reaction score
Does anybody have any idea how i can find a user/repair manual for a Craftsman shallow well jet pump. Its a 1/2 HP 30/50 pressure. Not real sure whats wrong with it. It is making a loud growling noise. It still works (pumps) but the noise it makes sounds pretty bad.

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
You're probably hearing a bad bearing in the motor. Sears pumps are notorious for this.
If you go to Sears.com, you should be able to find an exploded view of the pump in the parts section of the site. You'll probably need the model number of the pump.
If you decide to replace the motor, you'll need a new mechanical seal, too. In all honesty, you would be better off buying a new pump.
Ron

katenjoe

Reaction score
Thank you very much. Wow that was a fast reply. Would it be cheaper in the long run to just buy a new pump? And do you have any advice on a certain brand? We live on the river in Indiana so there is alot of sand and sometimes it gets very very cold if that makes a difference.

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
There are many good jetpumps on the market. Goulds, Myers, Sta-rite and A.Y. McDonald are just a few.
I would recommend staying away from the plastic pumps. Being in the pump business, I have a whole bone yard full of Sears, Flotec and Wayne pumps that I've replaced.
Sand is never good for a pump, but many jet pumps have engineered plastics (such as Lexan) for impellers and guide vanes that are more abrasive resistant than metals.
Ron

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks