Need help to decide on a toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

George R

Reaction score
My sister has a mentally challenged 27 yr old daughter that still lives with her. Apparently this daughter has huge bowel movements, and plunging is virtually a daily "fact of life" for my sister. It doesn't sound like a drain line problem but merely a trapway problem.

My sister is planning a complete bath redo, (gut job, new tub, vanity, toilet etc) and has been shopping for toilets at Lo*es and asked my opinion on which one to buy.

I suggested she not buy anything just yet and mentioned the TOTO line based on reading this forum. I told her I'd look into it. As a casual reader of this forum, I know some generalities but very few specifics about what has been discussed here previously.

Apparently there are a few dealers (although not many) in this area (central Illinois).

I'm asking for a recommendaion as to which toilet (TOTO or otherwise) to purchase.

She just wants a generic white toilet, nothing fancy. She hasn't decided yet even between round or elongated bowl or ADA height or not. I think she's not particularly fussy, style wise, she just wants a good flusher.

Although my sister is spending several thousand on this remodel, I know that funds are somewhat tight (in
part due to expenditures for the daughter).

I know that the Drake and the Dalton are both popular toilets discussed on this site, and probably fit the style of
what my sister is looking for. However the Drake is about $200 more, but does flush somewhat better due to
the "gravity jet" vs "G-max" flushing mechanism.

I have no idea what these differences translate to in the real world and whether its worth the extra $200.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

2nd Question: Do conventional toilet seats (either elongated or round,) fit on the TOTOS or do you have to buy TOTOS seats.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Size matters

Since you mentioned "huge", that changes some things.

Most of the good new toilets use a 2-1/8" trapway.
With most, that works very well.

However there are some people with medical conditions that require more than that. The only ones that comes to mind for certain conditions, huge being one of them, are the Caroma toilets, which have 3" and 4" outlets on their trapways.

I sell them in the Seattle area, and you should be able to locate dealers in others areas at their web site
www.caromausa.com

Caroma toilets in the Seattle area

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with Terry.

The Caroma toilets should fit the bill in this situation.

George R

Reaction score
Terry and Cass, thanks so much for the reply. Although my neice is a little bitty 85 lb sweetheart, she does apparently have this problem with large BM's.

Terry, you probably nailed it, she does take a lot of medication to suppress seizure activity. This may be the cause of (or contributing to) the problem.

There is a local plumbing supply house that is a Caroma distributor, so obtaining one shouldn't be a problem.

In any event, I'll pass along this info to my sister and let you all know what she decides. It's her money and her decision.

Thanks again to you both.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks