(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insulate a Bathtub?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can I insulate a whirlpool tub?
    Sure, why not?

DIY Junior Member

Just wondering if the heat from the motor might burn out the motor if the air can't circulate in the confined space around the tub.

General Contractor Remodeling ansman's Avatar

Default Re: insulating whirlpool tub

I am in the process of installing a whirlpool tub in my own master bath. I was all ready to fill the cavity with fiberglass insulation, but I reconsidered for several reasons: 1.) the dust from the fiberglass could easily be drawn into the air passages of the whirlpool motor causing it to jam or overheat. 2.) the lack of airflow would contribute to overheating as well. 3.) even the stud wall insulation could leak dust and clog the motor.

As a result, I am going to use spray foam (Great stuff) to insulate the wall cavities. I am also applying a 2-3" layer to the tub body to help retain the heat in all that moving water. Since the pipes hug the tub, they will be insulated as well. I am going to protect the area around the motor and maintain air flow around the entire tub. I am considering adding a vent to the cavity, but I haven't yet figured out where I would put it ( outside wall, closet, ?)

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Spray Foam Warning for Tubs

Careful when using spray foam (expanding) when insulating your tub. What many people don't know is that a can or two under your tub can lift the whole tub off grade.

I have heard this story many times over the years and lucky for me a master plumber had all ready lived this mistake and taught me his lesson.

The big rule is to fill that tub with water. Full. maybe two cans under the tub and nowhere close to the front edge. Just for extra insurance stack the tile boxes against the face of the tub in case the foam shoots toward that front edge.

Leave that water in the tub for 2-3 days.

You can then pack the voids with Batt Insulation.

Good Luck

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

DIY Junior Member

I use spray foam - closed cell. Spray it in before you set the tub. Not only is it a 100% vapor barrier it has an r value of 7 per inch and it helps with sound. In addition to all of that - it is mold proof and will not break down over time. You can get a spray gun for about $50.00 and buy a case of great stuff. Or you can call a spay foam company to do you crawl or basement and hit the bottoms of the tubs / shower / tubs while they are out.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marc