Cut & Jack Hammer Basement Slab

Users who are viewing this thread

TedL

Reaction score
For those who will not be swayed from dry cutting in a "tent"...

Running a shop vac (with fine particles disposable bag installed) with the hose inside the tent and exhaust outside it will help control dust spread by creating an air pressure differential....

I'd still go with wet.

EAP

Reaction score
Keep in mind no matter how it's done - in a basement with no walk-out, it's gonna be a real workout. In many ways. The cart, jackhammer and bits alone weigh close to a hundred pounds. Lugging that down 15 steps or so is just the beginning and then it's the end and a heavy one at that!:eek:

The amount of rubble left over is staggering to first-timers. Often, you can dump it in the crawl space or at least some it. I prefer to use clean gravel when closing the trench.

As someone else noted, the first cut with a diamond saw will give a clean break at least on the top where it counts.

One other tip, you might find that the slab varies in depth. Usually due to slope towards a floor drain. The farther from the drain, often the thickest part of the concrete. And the most work!

Have fun!;)

Dan Pick

Reaction score
Had 2 local contractors in this week for estimates. They both planned on wet cutting and cross cutting in lieu of a jack hammer. They both quoted to diamond cut wet, cross cut, remove debris and repour after new pipe was installed. There estimates were for an 12" wide by 11' trench and cleaning up the edges of the drain pit was $600.00 and $943.00. I'll keep you posted and hopefully have a few pics to post soon.

EAP

Reaction score
That sounds about par.

If you realy don't want to DIY something, this would be a good one to have the pros handle.

Your back will love you for it!:D

Good luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks