What Size Pressure Tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

41Fever

Reaction score
I posted this on the plumbing forum before I saw this forum. I have a seasonal cabin that has been in the family for 30 plus years. I have no idea what type of pump is in the submersible well, nor how deep, nor how old. The pressure tank in the cabin still works, but I want to pull it to replace flooring that it sits on. The tank has no where to check pressure or add air, unless it's on the bottom that I cannot access. I currently have a 30/50 pressure switch and the following fixtures:
1 - Kitchen Faucet
1 - Lav faucet
1 - Toilet
1 - Shower valve
1 - Water heater
1 - Hose bib
My question is, how big a tank would I need? I would like to go horizontal if possible to save space. Present tank appears to be a bladder type due to condensation on unit at times. Doubt I'll be able to reuse as the galvanized fittings in & out are rusty/crusty and likely will just bust apart when removed.
Thanks in advance for any & all replies.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
41Fever said:
I posted this on the plumbing forum before I saw this forum. I have a seasonal cabin that has been in the family for 30 plus years. I have no idea what type of pump is in the submersible well, nor how deep, nor how old. The pressure tank in the cabin still works, but I want to pull it to replace flooring that it sits on. The tank has no where to check pressure or add air, unless it's on the bottom that I cannot access. I currently have a 30/50 pressure switch and the following fixtures:
1 - Kitchen Faucet
1 - Lav faucet
1 - Toilet
1 - Shower valve
1 - Water heater
1 - Hose bib
My question is, how big a tank would I need? I would like to go horizontal if possible to save space. Present tank appears to be a bladder type due to condensation on unit at times. Doubt I'll be able to reuse as the galvanized fittings in & out are rusty/crusty and likely will just bust apart when removed.
Thanks in advance for any & all replies.

The tank should be sized to manage operation of the pump. They are not usually sized to provide storage for demand.

The tank should be sized to provide enough pumping time so the pump doesn't cycle too frequently. A bladder tank has a drawdown capacity of 25 to 30 percent of the capacity of the tank. For small pump, less than about 1 HP, the actual volume of the tank should be 3 to 4 times the GPM capacity of the pump.

The pump will deliver more water at low pressure so you will have a certain level of sustained flow capacity when the tank pressure is low and the pump is running.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks