wierd hole found in basement??

Users who are viewing this thread

possum

Reaction score
I found a hole in my basement under a block wall. I shinned a light down into it and there was about 6" of water in it. The hole is about 24" round and I could see teracoto pipe running out of it. Is this the old sewer line?? I ran all sinks and flushed all the tollets repetedly and there was no increase in the water leveles. late at night there is a sh*tty smell that comes out. Any suggestions on what to do the house is 80-100 years old.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Is there any reason to be concerned with it? If you're just curious you could run dye here and there to see if anything is connected to it...and if it connects to anything. Possible old plumbing just left connected to sewer???? If it were me I'd put some nice air tight lid, cap, or plug on it...then get some sleep and not worry about it. It might just be a clean out.

possum

Reaction score
it makes my house stink some time there is no way to cap it the only opening i can see is a cracked out block at the bottum of the wall that leeds to the hole could i fill it with something? thanks for the reply.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This sounds like a sump to me. It is used to remove ground water from under the house to help keep things dry. They are often installed when the house is built, but depending on conditions, may never need a pump installed to drain it. Check the level in the spring or after a big rainstorm or snowmelt event - the water may rise.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hole

If you were in one of Chicago's South suburbs, that hole would be a place to insert a large wooden sledge hammer-like device to stop, or minimize, a main sewer backup during a storm.

possum

Reaction score
I have been watching it for 6 months through late summer to now and the level has not changed i can only fit my arm in the hole so i used a stiff peace of 10/3 wire to masure the depth it was about 6" full of water I check it during and after all the rain and snow storms and there is never no change in the depth. should i sill it or fill it? any suggestions will help

Cookie

Reaction score
Possum,

I got what sounds like the same deal in my house, which is about the same age as yours, also. I had several plumbers, and a contractor out to look at it, same problem as yours. Well, I was told, that it was the main drain to my house and, the terracota was cracked and it is on the agenda come spring to deal with it. I think I may have to sell my first born to fund it, lol. Good luck. I was not told it was a sump.

Cookie

Reaction score
Possum,
Do you think you could possibly post a pic?

Would like to compare things, and see. Thanks much.

possum

Reaction score
the house had a new addition put on it5-6years before I bought the house witch included a new bath and kitchen I think there was a new sewer line ran because the main line from the second floor bath and laundry room ran into the stack that looks like it has been redirected to go towards the kitchen and bath witch are on ground level so I cant see where it goes when I put a new tolite in the flange and pipe looked to be rather new it was black pvc.

Bakechad

Reaction score
I believe "black PVC" is actually ABS which makes it at least 15-20 years old, I think (disclaimer - I am not a plumber :) )

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's ABS alright, but ABS is still a popular material for drain pipes, so the assumption about the age of the installation is invalid.

Bakechad

Reaction score
Gary,

Thanks for the correction. Here in the Chciago area, you don't see it at the home centers anymore so I assumed it was long out of code.

Chad

Zimmee66

Reaction score
could it be an old strm drain leader connection?

Without a picture I'm totally guessing here...but since your seeing no change in water levels with sewer use I wonder if it isnt a storm drain leader connection or sump.

As you may know, in the old days (roof) gutter leaders went straight into the sewer sytem (hence water quality problems after storms in city rivers everywhere!)

Around here anyways, they connect with the sanitary sewer. But I wonder if they weren't sometimes independent up until the lateral to the street?

I would think you could be looking at brackish nasty water that pools from those.

Shot in the dark...

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I ain't not never seen anythin that sum sorta cap couldn't bee made fer. Gitchew some stuff, bilt a form, set that there form on the ground or a hard place. Put some plastik unner it or line it wif plastic. dump in a couple buckets of concrete...throw in some wire or scrap iron if ya want to.. Voila...gotcha a cap... Kiver dat hole wif some tar paper or plastik... then plop on that there concrete cap.... shovel a little dirt round it and wet it a bit and tamp... will help seal out that stinky smell.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks