(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wierd hole found in basement??

Default wierd hole found in basement??

I found a hole in my basement under a block wall. I shinned a light down into it and there was about 6" of water in it. The hole is about 24" round and I could see teracoto pipe running out of it. Is this the old sewer line?? I ran all sinks and flushed all the tollets repetedly and there was no increase in the water leveles. late at night there is a sh*tty smell that comes out. Any suggestions on what to do the house is 80-100 years old.

Is there any reason to be concerned with it? If you're just curious you could run dye here and there to see if anything is connected to it...and if it connects to anything. Possible old plumbing just left connected to sewer???? If it were me I'd put some nice air tight lid, cap, or plug on it...then get some sleep and not worry about it. It might just be a clean out.

it makes my house stink some time there is no way to cap it the only opening i can see is a cracked out block at the bottum of the wall that leeds to the hole could i fill it with something? thanks for the reply.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

This sounds like a sump to me. It is used to remove ground water from under the house to help keep things dry. They are often installed when the house is built, but depending on conditions, may never need a pump installed to drain it. Check the level in the spring or after a big rainstorm or snowmelt event - the water may rise.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default hole

If you were in one of Chicago's South suburbs, that hole would be a place to insert a large wooden sledge hammer-like device to stop, or minimize, a main sewer backup during a storm.

sounds like an old sump.

I have been watching it for 6 months through late summer to now and the level has not changed i can only fit my arm in the hole so i used a stiff peace of 10/3 wire to masure the depth it was about 6" full of water I check it during and after all the rain and snow storms and there is never no change in the depth. should i sill it or fill it? any suggestions will help

Possum,

I got what sounds like the same deal in my house, which is about the same age as yours, also. I had several plumbers, and a contractor out to look at it, same problem as yours. Well, I was told, that it was the main drain to my house and, the terracota was cracked and it is on the agenda come spring to deal with it. I think I may have to sell my first born to fund it, lol. Good luck. I was not told it was a sump.

Possum,
    Do you think you could possibly post a pic?

Would like to compare things, and see. Thanks much.

Default hole

If you feel lucky fill it up. If it is part of the main drain system, you will know very quickly when nothing drains any longer.

the house had a new addition put on it5-6years before I bought the house witch included a new bath and kitchen I think there was a new sewer line ran because the main line from the second floor bath and laundry room ran into the stack that looks like it has been redirected to go towards the kitchen and bath witch are on ground level so I cant see where it goes when I put a new tolite in the flange and pipe looked to be rather new it was black pvc.

I believe "black PVC" is actually ABS which makes it at least 15-20 years old, I think (disclaimer - I am not a plumber )

It's ABS alright, but ABS is still a popular material for drain pipes, so the assumption about the age of the installation is invalid.

Gary,

Thanks for the correction. Here in the Chciago area, you don't see it at the home centers anymore so I assumed it was long out of code.

Chad

Default could it be an old strm drain leader connection?

Without a picture I'm totally guessing here...but since your seeing no change in water levels with sewer use I wonder if it isnt a storm drain leader connection or sump.

As you may know, in the old days (roof) gutter leaders went straight into the sewer sytem (hence water quality problems after storms in city rivers everywhere!)

Around here anyways, they connect with the sanitary sewer. But I wonder if they weren't sometimes independent up until the lateral to the street?

I would think you could be looking at brackish nasty water that pools from those.

Shot in the dark...