now we have rust!

Users who are viewing this thread

thebrothers

Reaction score
We recently replaced our faucet and knob in our bathtub. The pipe that our faucet fits over was too long for a universal faucet to fit up against the wall (it was previously caulked to kingdom come) so we took out the pipe that came from the wall and replaced it with a shorter piece. Now every time I turn on the water a splash of rust colored water comes out before the water runs clear! It's been about 2 weeks. Is this something to worry about - we have 2 small children in the house. Also the new knob is really hard to move. Will that loosen up? Thanks for any help!!!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you use a steel pipe nipple in the wall? or was it brass? If steel, replace it with brass. The packing nut (if it has one!) might be tighter than needed, or some plumber's grease might help.

thebrothers

Reaction score
It was brass, but we have no idea what's inside the wall. We've had so many surprises with house! We'd need to the take off the tiles and open up the wall, which I am afraid to do but this house has made us pretty brave so if it is something we need to get in there for then we'll do it! I appriciate your reply! Thanks!

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like you're in a very old house with galvanized steel pipes that are past their prime. Your tinkering with the pipes probably loosened some rust. It is mainly just unsightly. If it bothers you then you probably will not get totally rid of it until you replace all of the old steel pipes in the house. Normally the pipes flush clear after a while. If you use this faucet frequently it should stay clear although you will not be seeing the rust that does wash thru the pipes in smaller amounts. Expect more problems in the future...be prepared.

thebrothers

Reaction score
Thanks! Yes it is an old house - so I've learned to always be prepared! I appriciate the replies! You've put my mind at ease!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depending on the actual age of the pipes and the water conditions in your area, you may be looking at a total repiping before too long.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks