Help Help Help

Users who are viewing this thread

cookie1964

Reaction score
About 6 days ago our pump came on and wouldn't shut off the pressure line blew and there was water everywhere anyway we fixed it just to have it happen again 2 more times the last time we wernt home and that was the last time we had running water too . we thought that the pump was gone so we bought a pump (jet by the way, shalow well about 65 ft from house ) we have tried at least once a day from then on we have even put the old pump back in 10 times but to no avail the water comes up it seems to suck the line dry then thats it we have had the foot valve out of the well 3 times I just dont know what to do from here we have primed the pump primed the line filled the tank with air drained the tank I am at a loss I just don't know what to do from here any ideas ???????

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I really can't follow your description of the problem. Cut out the extra coments and simply, with punctuation, say what the old pump did when you reinstalled it, and then what the new pump did. Paint a precise commentless verbal picture as if we're blind; make us actually see what is happening.

Also, is there one or two lines from the pump back to and down the well?

If two, did you replace the j-body so as to have the rightr one for the new pump?

Speedbump

Reaction score
And what line broke? Jet pumps aren't capable of making enough pressure to break plumbing lines.

A location of the pump in relation to the well, location and type of tank. Brand names, horsepowers, model numbers if possible. All this info helps.

bob...

cookie1964

Reaction score
kk

It is 1/2 hp mastercraft jet waterpump. The line runs into the well which is a shallow well located about 60-65 ft from the pump ,the line runs from the well underground to the pump which sits about 2 ft above the water line .There is 1 line that runs the water with a foot valve on the well end. The line that blew off is the small one that runs the pressure points. The tank is a 20 gal older galvanized water tank that is located about 1 ft from the pump there is no bladder in the tank but there is an air valve to put presuure in the tank itself. Both pumps are doing the same thing they suck the water out of the main water line(fr the well but then they get nothing it does not seem to be going into the holding tank at all .We have checked the foot valve and it seems to be working however everyone says we should replace it as that sounds like the problem. Sorry for b4 hope this better helps :D

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you have had the footvalve out (I think you said you did?) check the water level. Remember a shallow well jet pump will only lift water a maximum of 25 feet vertically. That means the distance from the top of the well down to the top of water and the vertical distance from the top of the well up to the pump.

When you pour water in the pump, does it fill up? If it does, leave the prime plug loose to let air out while the pump is running. This is how you prime a shallow well pump.

You may also have an air leak in the suction line. From the front of the pump all the way to the footvalve is under vacuum when the pump is running. If you have a minute little pin hole or loose fitting, the air entering will keep the pump from priming.

I haven't heard of a Mastercraft (sounds like a private label on someone elses pump) but if the pressure switch tube popped off, it may be because the pump got warm enough to soften the plastic. If it is hooked to the pumps casting.

From what you've said, all was well until the tube blew off. If this is the case, I'm thinking priming may be the only problem. If you have a neighbor that you can hook a garden hose up to,(using a washing machine hose, you can hook their outside faucet to yours) you can backpressure your system up to 30 lbs. or so, then turn on your pump, sometimes this is all that is needed to get it going again.

Good Luck Cookie,

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks