Fixing fiberglass shower/tub

Users who are viewing this thread

M.Morris

Reaction score
I'm in search for some serious help. . . I live in an apartment complex so needless to say I can't do but so much to an issue that I kinda contributed to. A while back I managed to "snap off" my faucet behind the fiberglass wall after that I learned how to do some plumbing to fix pipe but the problem is I tried to fix the gaping hole I had to make to get to the pipe. Although I have managed to cover it I can't seem to get the contents from the repair kit to "level out" so to speak. Is there any1 that can help me with this issue of applying so it looks like it was never touched. PLEASE HELP Staunton, VA thanks

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Fiberglass items are made "finish first", meaning first the finish is applied to a surface-perfect mold, then the body behind the finish is added. So, the best you can do here is to bevel the edges of your hole, fasten some kind of backer behind it (taped-on cardboard will do), rebuild the missing area using fiberglass mat and catalyzed resin, sand as necessary, then use and finely sand some quality auto-body spot filler before attempting to match the color as best you can with something like an acrylic coating. But to get a "never touched" look, you will need to either refinish the entire piece -- do not attempt that in an apartment building -- or come up with one that never was.

Another possibility is to install a decorative panel of some type to completely cover the damaged area.

Last edited:

wes-in-nc

Reaction score
Yea, I don't think you will ever get a never been touched look. Working with fiberglass is very messy/dusty and the dust came be very irritating to the skin. You may be able to go to Lowesdepot and get one of the molded side panels for a shower or something like that and trim it to cover up the area, glue it in place and caulk around it. It should look decent and will look way better that a patch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks