(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: pressure switch will not cut off

  1. #1
    DIY Junior Member kmagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Wisconsinn
    Posts
    3

    Unhappy pressure switch will not cut off

    We have a submersable well pump with tank and pressure switch in basement. Have had sub zero temps and some frozen pipes in basement. Thawed the pipes and repaired. We now have water to the house. Problem is the pressure switch is not cutting off at 60psi like it is supposed to. Could the gauge be frozen? We are switching it off and on manually to avoid over pressurization of tank and lines. Basement is not heated. We have a space heater now next to the gauge and a cage light on the switch? Is this the way to proceed? Don't want to replace the pressure switch unless necessary.

  2. #2
    DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    200 miles south of Little Rock
    Posts
    2,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kmagic
    Problem is the pressure switch is not cutting off at 60psi like it is supposed to. Could the gauge be frozen?
    If the guage is stuck, that could be for one reason or another, but that would not have any effect on the pressure switch. Yet if the guage is not working because its stem is still frozen, maybe your switch still has the same problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by kmagic
    We are switching it off and on manually to avoid over pressurization of tank and lines ...
    That is not good if your guage is stuck and you have no way of knowing how high your pressure is actually going.

  3. #3
    In the Trades Bob NH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kmagic
    We have a submersable well pump with tank and pressure switch in basement. Have had sub zero temps and some frozen pipes in basement. Thawed the pipes and repaired. We now have water to the house. Problem is the pressure switch is not cutting off at 60psi like it is supposed to. Could the gauge be frozen? We are switching it off and on manually to avoid over pressurization of tank and lines. Basement is not heated. We have a space heater now next to the gauge and a cage light on the switch? Is this the way to proceed? Don't want to replace the pressure switch unless necessary.
    If the gauge or pressure switch get frozen (especially gauges), they are usually destroyed. Expansion of the water when it freezes permanently distorts the Bourdon tube so the calibration is gone and the linkage usually doesn't work.

  4. #4
    DIY Junior Member kmagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Wisconsinn
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I don't think the gauge is frozen. It registers the pressure drop when water is used and when the tank fills it also registers the high pressure. We switch off the pump when it registers 60psi. May be the switch is still frozen. We are going to take the pressure switch off and bring it up in the house to thaw and get the contacts clean. Then see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

  5. #5
    DIY Junior Member kmagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Wisconsinn
    Posts
    3

    Smile

    The gauge was broke. We bought a new one and installed it. Pump works fine now. Thanks for the advice

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •