Boiler Question? ?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoeD

Reaction score
Hi - I have an 8yr old OIL-Fired Weil-McLain Boiler with a Becket
Burner.
Question: The past few months I can see Sooth(Black) look
around my Chimney Cap and some on the side of my house.

Is the Burner set to RICH?
Does it Need More Air?

What can I do?

Thanks
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

Lancaster

Reaction score
There's not a whole lot you can do.But an oil burner technician with the proper test instruments can make the necessary checks and adjustments in a surprisingly short time frame.I used to fool around with my oil burner and never did get it working correctly until a tech with the appropriate instruments checked it out and had it working like new in about 15 minutes.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Usually, someone that knows answers. Hasn't happened yet! Soot, to me anyways, seems to indicate the burner is not adjusted properly. Adjusting it is somewhat art and science. To do it properly, you need CO meter, and probably some other tools. You can probably get it close by eye (assuming you know what to look for and know what to adjust).

A good cleaning of the orafice and burner might be all it needs to restore it to proper operating condition. This procedure is often covered in the manual. If you don't have that, you might find it on-line. Otherwise, it may be best to call a pro since an inefficient burner can be both a financial and health problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks