Shower valve rough-in, PEX...

Users who are viewing this thread

mikepdaviskc

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm installing a hansgrohe interactiv thermostatic mixing valve. The instructions for the rough-in component are non-existent.

My supply lines are PEX. There doesn't seem to be anything on the rough-in component that would allow it to be attached to framing. This leads me to believe that it should be plumbed with copper and the copper attached to the framing. I could do it this way and connect the PEX to the copper but I was wondering if I'm missing something. Is it typical that the copper pipes leading to the shower valve are what supports the valve? I guess that's the way I've always seen it but it seems like there is a problem when using PEX.

Thanks for any advice you can give me,
Mike

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
A few months ago, I installed a shower/tub faucet supplied by cpvc pipe for a tub in my basement by making some wooden blocks that work similar to u-bolts. First I fastened a piece of 1x6 against the back of the tub wall and between the studs where the faucet would go, then I cut two blocks about 1x3 and 4" long, drilled holes in their centers the same size as the valve casting, then cut them in half lengthwise and through the center of the holes and used screws to put them back together and fasten them to the 1x6 with the shower valve clamped in-between.

mikepdaviskc

Reaction score
Lee,

Did you do it that way because you didn't think the cpvc was strong enough to hold up the valve?

In the case of my valve there isn't anything to hold onto...I't pretty much a small smooth deal with fpt openings. Here's a picture:
Hansgrohe-ThermoBalance-II-Rough-Valve-Tub-Shower-(06623000)

It just seems weird to me that the valve would depend on the pipes to hold it up when it seems that people tend to be moving towards flexible pipes.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
mikepdaviskc said:
Lee,
Did you do it that way because you didn't think the cpvc was strong enough to hold up the valve?

Yes, and it looks to me like you can do something similar. I found this site -- http://www.faucetline.com/item_description.asp?prodcat=Bathroom&prodid=11240 -- and clicked on "specifications" to see a little more about your valve, and you should be able to "clamp" your male adapters on either side, and maybe even the shower riser where your fittings screw into your valve.

mikepdaviskc said:
It just seems weird to me that the valve would depend on the pipes to hold it up when it seems that people tend to be moving towards flexible pipes.

If I was a real plumber, maybe I could explain that! But, that is the way it is.

To offer a perspective, here is a picture of my own installation ...

Attachments

• Im000490.jpg
    Im000490.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 2,277

mikepdaviskc

Reaction score
Rugged,

Like I said, the hansgrohe documentation is non-existent. I've searched their website but it's a peice of crap also. I'll call my dealer next.

I thought 1/2" PEX is considered equal to 1/2" copper even though the diameter is less because it is smoother and has less fittings?

Lee, that's some interesting rigging you've got going there...bout how I would've done it.

Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks