(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Watts quick-connect fittings?

Rancher

Default Watts quick-connect fittings?

Anybody use these?

Connect to Multiple Materials!

Watts Quick-Connect fittings incorporate Stainless Steel Gripping Teeth in the Collets. These corrosion resistant teeth allow the fittings to interconnect with multiple materials without the need for special tools or tube inserts.

PEX, LDPE, MDPE, & HDPE Tubings
    Copper
    CPVC
    Polybutylene

Rancher

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I looked at them...not that impressed. One of the things I particularly didn't like was the "Made in China" label. Might be fine. The Sharkbite's seem much more robust (but cost more). Now, I didn't actually use one, they could be fine.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

we use them all the time in pilot valve controllers with no problems at 90PSI. Makes troubleshooting easy since you can disconnect and reconnect them. I use them in my house for the RO drinking water hookup. I like 'em. Easier to use than ferrule and compression. I admit I've not used them on metal pipe tho...
    Spaceman Spiff aka Mike

I have used the Jaco brand fittings (made in USA) http://www.jacomfg.com/j_fit.html in industrial applications with excellent success. Nylon and glass-reinforced polypropylene are good for water applications. Stay away from the Celcon (acetal) if there is even a hint of chlorine in the water.

They make nuts with stainless steel grippers for hard materials and plastic grippers for softer materials. They are rated at up to 220 psi when used with the gripper nuts.

The large selection of fittings means you don't need a lot of adapters that can cost as much as the fittings.

When I was buying them they had substantial discounts from list prices for even modest quantities.

Can the Watts Quick-Connect be used to interface 1/2 uponor pex (wirsbo) plastic pipe to copper 1/2.

If not any suggestions?

Thanks

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can the Watts Quick-Connect be used to interface 1/2 uponor pex (wirsbo) plastic pipe to copper 1/2.
    The Watts and the Sharkbites will do that.

Check the video here
    Last edited by Terry; 06-17-2008 at 11:06 AM.

I would personally favor the Cash-Acme Sharkbite over the Watts Quick Connect.

Default Plastic

The plastic ones are easier to disassemble than Sharkbites, and the John Guest ones have a positive locking collet on the larger sizes to prevent accidental disconnecting. They are approved for the same locations as Sharkbites, but I, personally, would not use them in concealed locations.