Please help with pump selection

Users who are viewing this thread

weekender

Reaction score
Please help me choose the appropriate jet pump.
I have one 3rd floor bathroom, two 2nd floor bathrooms and two 1st floor bathrooms. The kitchen and laundry are also located on the ground floor. I’d like to have no less then 30psi available for the 3rd floor bathroom. My limited choices are a Goulds J7S, J10S or J15S. The only other pump brands commonly available here are: Eurostar and Speroni, hence my Goulds choice.
I will have a 300gal above ground storage tank feeding the pump and either a 44gal or 62gal pressure tank.

I've never installed something like this before so any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a very large home, so I'd go with the J15S. While all three pumps may attain the necessary pressure, the J15S will give you more volume, which you may need with all the bathrooms.
Ron

weekender

Reaction score
Thanks Ron for the quick response.

The house isn't exceptionally large. Just lots of bathrooms. The house actually won't get lots of use but when it is used it will be full of people. I'm guessing you would also recommend the 62gal pressure tank as well?

Also, here's a dumb question. Should make a shelter around pressure tank and pump to shield them from the elements or can they be out in the open?

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
Yes and Yes. Go with the larger pressure tank, and it always helps when the pump and tank have some pretection around them.
Good luck!!
Ron

weekender

Reaction score
Thanks Pumpman,

I'm ready to order all the correct parts now. :)
I think everything should be up and running in about a week.

Raucina

Reaction score
You guys will love this: maybe this is a scenario for the CSV with a tiny tank, and the CSV fed by a submersible inside the storage tank. No need for pump house or pump shelter. Mount the tank and valve against the big tank to keep them from freezing. I bet you can get the submersible on **** for 150 bucks and it should well outlast any jet pump and use less power.

Since your static storage tank is only 300 gallons, It does not do much for storage. I would possibly skip it and feed your system directly from the well which hopefully has a submersible already in it.

weekender

Reaction score
Raucina

The house is located in the Philippines so freezing is out of the question. Low 60’s is cold here.

Speedbump

Actually there is no well. The town’s municipal water system will feed the supply tank. The reason for this whole setup is because the local water system is very inconsistent. Low water pressure is a daily occurrence and no water for one or two days at a time is not that uncommon either.

Actually, I am interested in a CSV. I just wouldn’t be able to get one here for several months.

I just thought of another question. How can I get the pump to shut off before the supply tank completely empties?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
weekender said:
Raucina

The house is located in the Philippines so freezing is out of the question. Low 60’s is cold here.

I just thought of another question. How can I get the pump to shut off before the supply tank completely empties?

You can put a float switch in the tank, like the float switches that are used in sump pump systems.

A 1.5 HP pump is pretty large for such a float switch, so you might need a large relay such as a "definite purpose contactor". They are available for less than $20 in the US. If you have access to equipment from Grainger www.grainger.com , I can suggest a catalog number if you tell me your operating voltage.

You should also have a float valve in the tank to keep it full automatically when there is water.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Here in the states the city water pressure is always 200 psi.:rolleyes:

A CSV is always a good idea.

BobNH answered the question on shutting the pump off and keeping the tank full. I can go one better and make all this happen with low voltage so the control circuits would not be dangerous.

bob...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
speedbump said:
BobNH answered the question on shutting the pump off and keeping the tank full. I can go one better and make all this happen with low voltage so the control circuits would not be dangerous.

bob...

It's called a transformer that is $9.95 in my Grainger catalog, and select the contactor with a 24 Volt coil.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks