Help with rough-in and dwv plan

Users who are viewing this thread

PauloSilva

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm planning a new bathroom on what currently is a den at the rear of my 1.5 storey home. I have a good idea of how I am going to drain the waste however the dwv plan is puzzling me. If you look at the sketch I will start at the toilet with a 3" pipe travel west and catch the shower then travel north intercepting the 1.5" vanity drain and then outlet to the stack. The plumbing will all be completely exposed in the laundry room in the basement. My problem is running the vents. I'm not a plumbing expert but understand the principals. The joists all run east and west and therefore what im thinking of doing is running the vents straight up the walls and then cutting into the joists to run through them and eventually tie into the stack. Now there is a bathroom directly above this one so I plan to tie in at a high location on the stack. Does this sound right to anyone? Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks

Attachments

• Plumbing.JPG
    Plumbing.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,274

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Cutting thru the joists to run a 3" pipe sounds dangerous. You don't want to weaken all the joists. It should be suspended under the floor joists, hangers every 4 ft. Or am I unclear about what you are doing? As for the vents, you could run between the above floor joist to a wall or closet then run up the wall and above the ceiling joists, turn and go to the stack. I'll edit this post with a copy of Terry's drawing....

dwv_b2.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plan

Talking about plumbing and actually installing it can be two very different things. Until we see how you are actually going to arrange the piping, we cannot tell you if it will be proper or not.

PauloSilva

Reaction score
Can I tie into the main stack at a point lower than what the upstairs bathroom ties in. I think this is called a wet vent. I cut wye into the stack so that no waste could enter the vent.

PauloSilva

Reaction score
so basically i'm going to have to go through the roof... thats gonna make my vanity venting a big problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks