(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: what type of wrench to use

Default what type of wrench to use

what type of wrench do you all use when you don't want to screw up the finish of the nut or faucet head you're trying to unscrew?

some finishes come off really easily when using plyers or various wrenches due to the tools teeth. what other type of tool can i use?

You need to use either an good adjustable end wrench or an end wrench of the proper size. Even with them, you need to use care. You can put tape around the nut, but that will not totally protect the finish if the wrench slips. If possible, a box end wrench would be the safest tool. Don't use pliers or pipe wrenches even with tape you'll mar the finish.

how about for ROUND fittings that are a smooth metal finish. such as the strainer basket piece on the end of a faucet?

The aerator on a faucet has (usually) two small holes on it's underside which a small key fits into to unscrew it...

Quote Originally Posted by markts30
    The aerator on a faucet has (usually) two small holes on it's underside which a small key fits into to unscrew it...
    I've never seen that....

Aerators often have two flats to accept a wrench. But a thin rubber circle used for gripping jar lids (kitchen item) will let it come off by hand most of the time. In the rare cases it won't, I use that same circle as a protector between a wrench and the aerator.

Default aerator

It is a rare aerator that has either the two slots, (which usually requires a special wrench), or flats on the sides. A piece of rubber in the plier jaws will usually unscrew it.

" A piece of rubber in the plier jaws will usually unscrew it."
    Cut a 2" piece of dishwasher hose and slip it over the aerator, then use your pliers.

I use a pair of smooth jawed channel locks that I dipped the jaws in several coats of plasti-dip to give them a rubber coating....work great
    Just because you aren't paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you...

I use a strap wrench (plumbing tool department at Home Depot) for installing shower head necks. There is also a liquid rubber coating that is intended for re-newing plier handles. I have used this dip-and-let-dry product on the jaws of a few pairs of pliers to make them non-marring.