Restoring 1934 tub...Refinish Types?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
Hi There,

I am going to restore this tub vs replace. I's a cool looking art deco tub. I know refinishing has limited useful life. I'll hire a pro for this task.

I read about 3 different methods/types of paint a while ago. The aircraft-type lasts about 5 years and another expected to last 10. Of course depends on installer/prep.

To you that are happy w/ a refinish, which type did you have done, if you recall?

Thanks!

Dan Pick

Reaction score
Bath Liner

Pam,

I would suggest putting an acrylic liner over the subject tub. You will get the best long term results. You will pay higher up front costs but it will last a lifetime. For a tub liner only (no wall surround) expect to pay around $1,100.00. You should receive a lifetime warranty. They will also replace the overflow cover and add a push/pull type drain stopper assembly.

I don't care is NASA designed the "paint" for a bath tub it will not hold up more than a few years at best. When the original finish was applied to your tub at the factory it was baked on at about 2,100 degrees F. Don't let anybody tell you they can duplicate that finsh by painting on a new finish.

Refinisher

Reaction score
Refinish the tub

I am so glad I found this site as I am going to fix all the mistakes for you that have to do with refinishing. I have been refinishing tubs for about 8 years. Refinish vs replace, wow no question REFINISH. Being a refinisher I know this sounds one sided however I will explain why. Replace cost about $3000 if you have tile on a surround or on the floor. Even if you do not the cost will range well over $1500. People that say refinishing fails are only correct if the refinisher does not do proper prep work. Porcelain is NOT an option - reglazing is. This is not a paint, this is a aerospace replacement for the glaze on the tubs. The proper cleaners are industial, the etching process is a mild solution of acid but nothing that you can buy at the store. The primer is areospace and the top coat is a form of epoxy however it much stronger and the entire process is what makes it so strong. I have tubs that I did 8 years ago when I started in flip homes that still look like new when I know of 4 tub liners in the same time that have come loose and are junk. This does not speak low of liners nor high of refinishing. The thing that makes both fail are the same, poor workmanship. Nothing replaces proper prep work.

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions and info, CBL and Refinisher. I imagine the rule of 90% prep work for paint jobs is even more important for tub reglazing. I still plan to reglaze vs liner or replace option.

I'll try to get a idea of which type products last the longest, such as the aerospace type.

Thanks Again!

Almost finished w/ this whole bath remodel less tub. The refinisher I did speak w/ says he wants to do tub last. He said everything else should be done first. I guess it would be easy to drop the new faucet onto surface during install or damage in other ways.

cbl

Reaction score
I love refinished tubs! I get to put liners over the top of them every week!...just kidding!

Make sure you get a warranty for whichever method you decide to use.

Refinisher

Reaction score
CBL,

Thats funny I was just thinking how much I hate removing the adheasive from tubs when the liner fails - LOL:D
I am actually looking into going to school at BCI this summer as I do get requests for tub liners from time to time. Just seems to me like like putting a pretty bandaid on an ugly mess.:eek:

Tell me about your liners

cbl

Reaction score
Refinisher said:
CBL,

Thats funny I was just thinking how much I hate removing the adheasive from tubs when the liner fails - LOL:D
I am actually looking into going to school at BCI this summer as I do get requests for tub liners from time to time. Just seems to me like like putting a pretty bandaid on an ugly mess.:eek:

Tell me about your liners

Check your messages

Dan Pick

Reaction score
Refinisher....

I didn't think you guys could refinish a tub that was already rusted like Pam's in and around the drain area? Can you refinish one like hers and still give a warranty.

Refinisher

Reaction score
Yes I refinish tubs like this all the time, the rust gets removed after removing the drain plug. There is a special product kinda like bondo (different and made for tubs) that you apply. It inhibits rust around that area. Large chips and even 50 years of wear can be fixed.
Keep in mind that this all has to do with the refinisher and yes special precautions need to be done to fix this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks