Pressure Reducing Valve Noise

Users who are viewing this thread

tomtheguvnor

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I moved into a reasonably new (2-3 years old) rental apartment about a year ago now. Recently started to be kept awake at night by periodic, loud, creaking noise which is coming from the plumbing.

Well tonight I decided to investigate and as far as I can tell the source is what I believe to be a HoneyWell Pressure Reducing Valve (looks like this).

A quick Google revealed this data on a similar HoneyWell valve. The troubleshooting section seems to suggest tweaking the outlet pressure to resolve problems with "whistling" noises.

Although I'm no expert, I'm keen to attempt resolving this problem myself as it will take my landlord about a month if I leave it to him(based upon past experience).

So my questions are:
  1. Is it likely that varying the outlet pressue will fix my creaking problem?
  2. Is there any potential damage I could cause by attempting this?

Based upon the product data for this valve, altering the outlet pressure looks reasonably simple.

Any help received is very greatly appreciated.

Tom

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is there an expansion tank in the water line near your water heater? If not, that is likely the problem. As an experiment, buy a water pressure gauge (around $10) and screw it into the drain of the WH or somewhere else you can easily attach it. When things are making noises, check the pressure. If you have a PRV and don't have an expansion tank, after running the hot water, the water expands, creating a potentialy very high pressure. This can make the prv make noise sometimes. The PRV has an internal check valve causing the system to be referred to as a closed system. A closed system needs room for the water to expand as it gets heated.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks