Better valve, ball or globe?

Users who are viewing this thread

tao_of_howe

Reaction score
Is one type better than the other? Ball valves or Globe valves? I have had trouble with stuborn globe valves in the past, and less trouble with ball valves. Is it just that the globe valves are more common, more chances of finding a bad one, or are they less reliable? I have replaced every globe valve with a ball valve that I have had to work around. Am I right in doing this? Or, did a couple of bad globe valves give me irrational bias?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

You must live in a "weird" area if you have that many globe valves around. I see a globe valve about once every five years. But that being said, typically the two valves are designed for different functions. A ball valve, or gate valve, is design to give the maximum flow with the least restriction and should be fully open or fully closed. A globe valve is for use when flow modulation is required, but maximum flow is not a factor. It can be operated at any degree of modulation from fully open to fully closed. The quality of the valve usually determines its functionality, as it does with any other valve. Here there are mostly imported gate valves used and many of them have broken after a few years of service.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks