Shower Handle w/NO SCREWS???

Users who are viewing this thread

kmclisterman

Reaction score
Help!!! I'm trying to remove the handles in my shower/tub, but I can't figure out how they attach. It isn't the "normal" way of removing the decorative cap, removing the screw, then removing the handle. I don't see any way that these handles are attached. Has anyone ever hear of this? And does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them off???:confused:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Some Kohler handles have the part behind the handle screw on to and hold the handle in place.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
handle

The best suggestion is "SEND US A PICTURE". Without some information on the faucet there is absolutely no way we can even guess what kind of faucet it is, and therefore no way to tell you how to remove the handle. But if it is a Kohler faucet with a rod handle, the cap pulls off the end of it and the screw is up inside.

kmclisterman

Reaction score
No Brand

That's the thing...there is NO BRAND NAME anywhere!!! I will try to get a picture of it today & send it!!!:(

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it has caps, they should remove, if there is a screw behind the actual handle part that you grab, it is removed. Majority will have caps that you can pry out with a small flat headed screwdriver.

Leo427

Reaction score
hj,

I'm not the original poster. I was trying to help kmclisterman and I submitted my reply too soon. Sorry about that. I'll try it again.

I had a similar situation involving a Kohler bathroom faucet. I was helped out with advice from this fine forum. I don't know if this will help you with your situation, but here it goes.

The hot side of the pictured faucet was leaking. I could not find any caps or screws to get the handle off. It turns out that the bonnet (the chrome piece below the handle) unscrews from the base of the fixture. The handle is attached to the bonnet with a screw from below. I was then able to remove the cartridge.

Good luck!

Kohler Forte K-10272-4G.jpg

Last edited:

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Leo427 said:
hj,

I'm not the original poster. I was trying to help kmclisterman and I submitted my reply too soon. Sorry about that. I'll try it again.

I had a similar situation involving a Kohler bathroom faucet. I was helped out with advice from this fine forum. I don't know if this will help you with your situation, but here it goes.

The hot side of the pictured faucet was leaking. I could not find any caps or screws to get the handle off. It turns out that the bonnet (the chrome piece below the handle) unscrews from the base of the fixture. The handle is attached to the bonnet with a screw from below. I was then able to remove the cartridge.

Good luck!

I have a faucet such as that in my bathroom, but there is an allen screw that you loosen to remove the handles, then you are able to get to the stems.

Leo427

Reaction score
browniz,

This is a Kohler Forte K-10272-4G 8" widespread faucet. I don't know what brand/model you have, but this one is set up with no allen screw.

I just took another look to be sure. ;)

It was frustrating to say the least. Previously, any faucet I dealt with had an exposed screw or one covered by a cap.

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Leo427 said:
browniz,

This is a Kohler Forte K-10272-4G 8" widespread faucet. I don't know what brand/model you have, but this one is set up with no allen screw.

I just took another look to be sure. ;)

It was frustrating to say the least. Previously, any faucet I dealt with had an exposed screw or one covered by a cap.

I had to go look at ours, and cannot even remember the manufacturer. I am getting rust from the caps under the faucet handles on mine, and plus I knocked the toothbrush holder into it one night, and now there is a nice crack in the sink basin (does not leak), which it all is going to get replaced next spring.

trydiy

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I look around the handle and cant find anything that could hide the screws. I attached a picture. I'm afraid to pull hard and i tried
but afraid to break it. HELP!

showerhandles.jpg

Grohe handles. They pull off of the plastic keeper below.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The should be no way to remove a Monticello stem with a screwdriver. You have to grap the two flats and rotate it. Those are Grohe or Hansgrohe handles. You have to grab them and pull REAL hard, which is hard to do without marking up the chrome finish.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If it has caps, they should remove, if there is a screw behind the actual handle part that you grab, it is removed. Majority will have caps that you can pry out with a small flat headed screwdriver.

I just bought a new faucet from Kraus that my wife picked out, and could not figure out how to remove the decorative cap so I could acess the screw to remove the valve handle so I could install the valve ( inserts through from the bottom of the lavatory). The cap on that faucet unscrews from the handle.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I had to go look at ours, and cannot even remember the manufacturer. I am getting rust from the caps under the faucet handles on mine, and plus I knocked the toothbrush holder into it one night, and now there is a nice crack in the sink basin (does not leak), which it all is going to get replaced next spring.
I guess you have a marble or granite toth brush holder?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks