How to drain my water pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

rtfgvb

Reaction score
sorry if this is a newbie question, here goes...i am repairing a leaky joint in my copper water supply lines. i know that to drain the pipes i should shut off the water supply and open the highest and lowest faucets in the house. the leak is in the basement, which is unfinished. the lowest faucet in the house is still higher than the leaky joint. how do i drain this pipe?

i have considered opening the drain valve at the bottom of the water heater. i would rather not haul that much water out of the basement, but is this my only option? thanks for any help...

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Where the piping rides along the joists between support hangers, jam a tool or piece of pipe betwen the pipe and the joist; this will drop a belly in the pipe long enough for it to pool and get the solder joint closed up.

Be quick about it and don't waste time. That water will eventually fill the belly up and continue the way it was.....leak..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks