Leaky PVC joint

Users who are viewing this thread

pilotjack

Reaction score
I have read several posts about bad pvc joints and I have one. Normally, I would simply cut out the bad joint and fix the problem, however, I'm in a real tight spot. The elbow that is leaking has a sanitary tee right next to it and a toilet flange above it. I have some room to cut between the toilet flange and the elbow, but there is no room between the tee and the elbow.The tee is for the vent connection. Immediately after the tee the pipe goes into a wall and into a finished basement. Since I would rather not destroy finished space to fix this, I was wondering if there is a way to cut the joint between the tee and the elbow and remove the remaining peice of 3" pipe that is inside the tee's flange without damaging the tee? That way I can replace the elbow. My only other option (short of destroying finished space) is to cut the pipe above the joint between the toilet flange and the elbow, put a 3" coupler on the toilet flange and connect the coupler to the offending elbow flange with a 4" boot. any thoughts

pilotjack

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise, I don't have a rambit but I see if my home center has one. Are they difficult to use?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are working with a sanitary system without pressure. If you have access to the leaky area, you may be able to seal it.

Take a torch and a piece of steel rod ground down to a small area at the end. Heat up the end of the rod and use it to move some of the PVC into the hole. It must be hot enough to "weld" across the hole. It takes a bit of practice but can be a lot easier than cutting out and replacing a fitting.

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
Bob NH said:
You are working with a sanitary system without pressure. If you have access to the leaky area, you may be able to seal it.

Take a torch and a piece of steel rod ground down to a small area at the end. Heat up the end of the rod and use it to move some of the PVC into the hole. It must be hot enough to "weld" across the hole. It takes a bit of practice but can be a lot easier than cutting out and replacing a fitting.

i have a similar problem and my try this... i don't have a drip..but a do have a leak.

a droplet forms and then falls every 15 minutes or so. i did 10 pvc welds this weekend and one horizontal one did not seat properly. go figure.

i was at first just thinking about using a heat gun over the pvc fitting hoping that would soften and weld it.. but this makes more sense...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Since the pvc fittings are tapered, depending on how much cement you use, you may have to hold it for awhile, otherwise, the pressure will push the pipe back out of the fitting. It can be very frustrating. Once it resolidifies, it works fine, but not if it pops back out maybe as much as half-way.

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
Since the pvc fittings are tapered, depending on how much cement you use, you may have to hold it for awhile, otherwise, the pressure will push the pipe back out of the fitting. It can be very frustrating. Once it resolidifies, it works fine, but not if it pops back out maybe as much as half-way.

I am guessing in my case, i didn't hold it long enough... i was in a crawl space doing 10-12 fittings... i forgot the quarter inch turn....

probably lucky that more are not dripping...

i'll tell you though... the advice on this board gave me the confidence and instruction to move a toilet...drill through 4 inches of concrete, run pvc, and tie into cast iron.

used a core driller from home depot 70 dollars
a soil pipe cutter from home depot 17 dollars
pvc and fernco estimate 70 dollars
flange 10 dollars
tapcon screws 5 dollars
primer and glue 10 dollars
10 in rough in Cadet 3 right height 250 dollars
pex and fittings for water supply 20 dollars

this is the first phase of an overall master bath re-do.

i'll have to re-do some more plumbing since i am tearing out a shower and putting in a whirlpool tub. i don't have a tub filler run... so i will make that 3/4" . i suspect the shower plumbing is 1/2 inch....

what's funny right now is that i have two working johns in a 6x9 bathroom...

Pewterpower

Reaction score
lee polowczuk said:
what's funny right now is that i have two working johns in a 6x9 bathroom...
At least you won't be lonely. You can invite a friend. :eek:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
lee polowczuk said:
i have a similar problem and my try this... i don't have a drip..but a do have a leak.

a droplet forms and then falls every 15 minutes or so. i did 10 pvc welds this weekend and one horizontal one did not seat properly. go figure.

i was at first just thinking about using a heat gun over the pvc fitting hoping that would soften and weld it.. but this makes more sense...

If the spot-welding doesn't work, you can always try this stuff: They sell a version of it at Walmart.

Attachments

• Pasco Rapid Seal.jpg
    Pasco Rapid Seal.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 370

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
that looks like electrical tape....

what will wall mart think of next.....

I have cut MILES and MILES of home made
electrical tape repairs off of water lines and
drain lines......

now someone thought up the great idea of acutally
packageing the electircal tape and selling it for 5 times
the price....

its not the product that counts , its how you package it...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks