Rheem power vent 2 noisy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Neeroo

Reaction score
Checking on progress in our house build and noticed today when the water heater kicked in it was surprisingly loud and whiny. Never had this kind of heater before so I'm wondering is this normal?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Hard to say from here since you have never had one B4. If it sounds like metal hitting something then maybe but if it just sounds like a fan running at high speed then all is well.

Pinerider

Reaction score
We had a power vent heater installed after our old hot water heater kicked the bucket. It was so noisy we had the heater rental company come back and replace it with a direct vent heater - no noise at all.
If your house interior isn't finished yet, you will notice noises more easily, but the power vent heaters are very noisy. (My nephew works installing them, says a lot of customers ask to get them changed for something less noisy)Ours was in the laundry room in the basement, we could hear it all through the house.

Neeroo

Reaction score
The comments from everyone make sense. The interior is still not finished and I know that will reduce the sound somewhat. But it so loud now that its hard to imagine it being that quiet when the finishing is done.

I'm not sure if direct vent is an option. The climate is cold (down to -40) and I thought I remembered the builder saying the high efficient heater and furnace needed this kind of venting as there is no chimney.

The heater is about 1-1.5 years old, it is a new construction that was suspended at the intermediate stage.

I've found the builder tends to minimize things, ie: "oh that won't be a problem, oh that's normal" so I'm not sure how to determine if the vent is too loud or normal.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
it should be fine

It should not be much louder than your wifes hair dryer
.....that is what I tell people.....

it could take some getting used to if it is in an open area
where the sound can travel

it usually is in the mechanical room and once the
place is finished it should not echo much

its under warranty through the plumber--

so wait till its done and then see how it works out

Neeroo

Reaction score
I noticed the water supply line was shut off. Could that be causing it? I have now run some water through and bled out the line.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it was run without water in it, it is probably ruined. If not, it probably won't change the sound level.

Neeroo

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
If it was run without water in it, it is probably ruined. If not, it probably won't change the sound level.

Well I believe water was run into it, but then the main supply was turned off as the place was vacant for a long time and they didn't want to risk a leak.

But does the water in the tank 'boil off' over time leading to the empty tank situation and thus ruining it like you say?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If there are no leaks, and the tank's heat exchanger was covered it should not be damaged.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks