Leaky Moen Posi Temp shower valve fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

Billonion

CAD Guy / PCB Designer
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've plumbed in my basement bathroom and have no leaks in any of my solder joints. There are no leaks at the compression ball valves for stool and lav supply. The threaded fittings on the Moen Posi-Temp shower valve, however, do leak. I used Teflon tape, hand tightened them, then wrench tightened them 1.25 turns (I know, I marked them). I now get to rip out a bunch of my beautiful work to re-torque these fittings (I'll bet I have them torqued to 50ft-lbs already). Once I re-torque them, can I sweat them? Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.
Thanks all.
Billw

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
If I can turn out long pigtails with the fittings already soldered to the ends, this prevents heat transfer. Most times in a wall though that is impossible.

I always crank those fittings on till they stop, never by guidelines followed by the mfg.

Over the past 6 months though when I'm dealing with the numerous styles of threaded valves I've been just soldering the fittings to the threaded connections.

I'm not proud of that application but I take the steps to make sure I use new/clean copper fittings along with wire brushing the threads on both. Applying flux and soldering up; pulls it right in.

It's impossible to prevent heat transfer on a taped/doped connection when you are working in a 4-3/4" opening and only have half of that space to get the supply line reconnected.

Billonion

CAD Guy / PCB Designer
Reaction score
I did solder to the fitting prior to assembling to the valve. There may have been some heat transfer while connecting elbows, etc. I don't have too much room to work (about 3 inches per side). I think I will just clean the threads on the fittings and valve, screw them together, and sweat them. If it leaks after that, it all goes in the trash. I'll go buy a Delta with solder fittings.....
Billw

Billonion

CAD Guy / PCB Designer
Reaction score
I finally finished up my Moen shower valve / bathroom plumbing install.
I cleaned, fluxed, and soldered all threaded fittings. I'm happy to report no leaks! Now I can move on to installing the shower floor, Durock, tile...
Billw

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks