painting with primer

Users who are viewing this thread

zoglchaim

Reaction score
hi
i am painting my room
i want it to be FLAT WHITE
i primed it with driwall primer first and realised that that;s the color I want
Do I have to paint it with regular paint?

zoglchaim

Reaction score
TedL said:
What do you mean by "have to"?

If it's being inspected, the building dept. may require a finish coat.

how could they tell? it's exactly same color

zoglchaim

Reaction score
TedL said:
What do you mean by "have to"?

If it's being inspected, the building dept. may require a finish coat.

here's what i mean
is there any reason why i should put a finish coat? ( lasts longer, etc)

Prashster

Reaction score
Assuming leaving the primer as the top coat is 'to code' then I'd inspect it really well in different light to assure it looks good all the time.

Also, you won't get as good surface protection with a primer as you will with a top coat (w the poss exception of flat top coats).

Tops and primers are different beasts. One preps the surface and is optimized for the substrate, the other protects the surface and is optimized for the light and contact it gets.

If it were me, I'd spring for a standard white top coat. it won't cost that much, and my instinct is in the long run you'll be glad u did.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
OK to do it

many people have left primer as their final coat.

it will pick up finger dirt and grease near light switches. You can always add a little paint every couple years.

A flat mat finish coat of white is similar. It is however designed to be a finish coat, and yes there are differences in properties engineered into the mix. Paint has been around for long enough that people know what to build into the mix. Chemists and engineers have studied this extensively.

There is every reason to keep on and add a top coat. Reasons not to: money, time, indecision about the color of the next coat.

david

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Another thing to consider...most manufacturers have a window of opportunity after applying the primer when it will accept a top coat successfully. Wait too long, and you need to apply a second layer of primer or risk a bonding failure - read the instructions carefully.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Somewhat of a guess but also somewhat known to be true. The paint will seal the surface (of the primer) better. Primer seals but will absorb more and cause more staining...at least that has been my observation... did the same on a rental house, not a mistake but not a great job either.

Zimmee66

Reaction score
In short, although others may have convinced you already--DONT use primer as a finish coat.

Primer is formulated for good adherence. IF you used a primer-SEALER then it would be more acceptable.

Paint boundries are blurring, in the old (oil) days primer was often just finish paint thinned out. Now formulations are a lot of genuine chemical wizardry and a healthy dose of baloney marketing.

One key is the quality of your primer--if it was cheap (I mean the stuff home despot sells by the tanker load) standard drywall primer, you will be sorry if you don't finish coat it. Good primer has more binder and fewer volatiles so leaves a more durable finish.

For a pretty good discussion of paint tech look at:

www.zinsser.com

However, the short answer is probably that you will be happier in the long run if you use a finish coat.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
zoglchaim said:
hi
i am painting my room
i want it to be FLAT WHITE
i primed it with driwall primer first and realised that that;s the color I want
Do I have to paint it with regular paint?

I posted the same topic-thread earlier in 2006. It depends. It's been 6 months now.
I painted 2 exterior doors, a wrought iron table and a large end table all
Flat with Kilz2 primer.

I like it too.

Eventually I painted the doors with some experimental finishes that Im still working on.

It gets a little dirty and isn't very "scrubbable" imo.

You will have to repaint (prime) in all likelyhood eventually.
In my world it's no big deal.
I like it..

If YOU like it-leave it and it's all good. ;)

Use Kilz or Zinsser. (preferred by many pros)

Mike

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks