Portable dishwasher hook up

Users who are viewing this thread

Oiram

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Kenmore portable dishwasher which I want to permanently hook up to a water line so I don't have to move it around anymore. There is an extra hot water spigot in my basement where a washing machine would hook up... this is right under where the dishwasher is.

I took the back off the dishwasher to see what would be involved... the black rubber water hose (which hooks up to the faucet) is connected to the dishwasher with the same kind of connection as a washing machine. When I went to Home Depot, they sell 'dishwasher hook ups' which are completely different than the washing machine ones (I assume those are for permanent dishwashers).

My question is, can I use a washing machine hose to supply the water or does the dishwasher connection need to be changed? Also, can I run the drain tube into where my washing machine drains in the basement? Both hoses (the water line and drain hose) would have to be about 12'. The longest washer hose I found is 6', can I couple 2 together?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mario

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Kinda confusing... surely you don't intend to put the dishwasher in the basement? All of that rigging might get you by but it is not going to make anything like a professional and trouble free installation. Probably can be adapted to work but I'd rather run the pipe to the washer than chain a bunch of hoses together... material costs alone would be cheaper.

Oiram

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Did it today and it works! Materials (2 hoses, a coupler, a drain hose, a clamp and a roll of Teflon tape) cost me $60 and it took me and my wife about an hour. The dishwasher is not in the basement, the supply line is... I ran the hose up through the floor and the drain back down. It's kind of a jury-rig job I guess, but we don't want it 100% permanent, we just have a very small kitchen and don't want to have to move it all the time. The only permanent thing we did was cut a 3" hole in our kitchen floor under the dishwasher that you can't see. It works for what we need it to do and that's whats important. Thanks again!

Mario

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks