Moving a stove

Users who are viewing this thread

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
I'm moving a gas range across the kitchen and am thinking that all I need to do is extend the gas line across and up through the wall plate into some sort of flush-fit box in the wall behind the range. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Gas work always requires a permit, even if your jurisdiction allows a homeowner to do the work.

Depending on how far you have to move, you could go straight across through the studs, but it would be better to go up, across in the attic, and then down again. Boxes are not typically used for gas. A nipple comes straight out of the wall to a valve. Check the rough in spec for your specific stove as to where the the valve should be. This work will need to be done in threaded black pipe.

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
I have a permit for kitchen re-do that covers this. The gas line will go under the floor in a crawl space. I guess my main question was whether or not it comes up through the wall plate and then out the wall where it needs to be. I see where there is an indentation in the back of the range where the valve sits so the range can be pushed flush with the wall. It's a small, narrow kitchen. The line is moving only 8 feet to the new wall.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've yet to see a gas valve in a wall box but I don't see anything wrong with it. You could use a washing machine or icemaker box and adapt to your needs with no problem if you just feel the need to put it in a box in the wall.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I bought 6 cute little gas valve boxes on e-Bay 5 or 6 years ago. I just used them all up save one. I seldom do new houses so they sat a long time. They are neat. I don't know the manufacturer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
box

WardFlex for one makes a termination box for their CSST lines. But for this person the valve into an elbow outside the wall in that stove recess should work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks