• both...install two

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

vmplumbing

In the Trades
Reaction score
greetings fellow plumbers!!

i have been searching these threads for the definitive check valve placement for a sewage ejector pump installation. i have received a request from a friend who says he can hear leakage from his vertically-installed check valve...

from what i gather here, the check valves should be installed horizontally to prevent solids from sticking in the gate.

however, i have also seen opinions that placement does not matter, or that vertical installation is preferred.

so, discuss please, here and often!!!

thanks!

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Logic suggests the check valve should be high so the discharge line will not be full when it has to be disconnected for service to the pump or whatever, and horizontal makes sense so there will be no surprise when same line is jostled during same service. However, not all situations are identical and I have no idea whether "code" is always logical.

R

Rancher

Flint and Walling show a pakage kit with the check down by the pump, you probably should have a check and a gate valve for servicing.

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
If vertical, the weight of the water above the valve will be more apt to help keep it closed.

bob...

Raucina

Reaction score
If pumping "clean" effluent from the second chamber of a septic, where the pump sits in a screen, then use any good check valve, preferably spring loaded ball or disk. 10 years on mine without repair.

Pumping sewage from a grinder type pump TO the tank, I use a Hayward 3" non spring loaded floating ball check valve horizontally with an access chamber and unions very close to the pump. No leakage or blockage in 5 years. But its a very expensive valve and you wont find it at Lowes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks