soldering soft copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott99

Reaction score
I was just reading an article that said you can't solder soft copper but need to use a flare or compression joint. Is that correct?

I just cut out a section that was soldered with a coupler connecting soft to rigid and was planning on doing the same thing.

I also noticed that my Autocut pipe cutter seems to crush the soft pipe a tad when using it. found on their web site that it's not to be used on soft copper. the area is too tight to use a hack saw to cut it off.

thoughts?

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
Get a new cutter. Autocut's, while quick, do a good job of mangling pipe. A normal imp cutter will do a better job and be controlable.

I've soldered and brazed soft copper countless times, probably equal to what I've flared.

Post the article, if you will.

Last edited:

Scott99

Reaction score
found it on ************.

I'm going to proceed, but noticed that my coupler is pretty tight on the soft copper. probably since it's a bit out of round. is there a chance that the fitting will be so tight solder won't take?

Racer814

Reaction score
^what he said...

and for the record, Bridget solder will fill a "loose" fitting better than any....and when you are dealing with soft copper you are going to have loose/tight joints

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
solder

The capillary attraction that makes the solder flow to the "end" of the joint DEPENDS on a tight joint. If the joint is loose the only way it is going to fill the joint is if it is on a vertical pipe and you "pour" the solder into it.

Racer814

Reaction score
right on about the capillary action......when I say "loose"....I'm using that term loosely

I mean it is not an optimal fit...like a horizontal run of copper that will sag downwards in the fitting until you get it supported....that "play" in the joint is what I'm talking about and Bridget solder is the best solder I have ever used whether the joint is "tight" or "loose"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks