(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: sewer odor

Red face sewer odor

There is a strong smell of sewer gas in my basement that comes from the ejection pump. It seems to be worse when the weather is extremly cold or wet. It seems to be sealed (gooped with silicone from the previous owner) and vented properly. Is this normal? The house is 15 yrs old I will assume the pump is the same. Is there anything that I can do??? Thanks.

DIY Senior Member Mike Swearingen's Avatar

You should get no odor from a sewer ejection pump.
    There should be a trap and/or seal to prevent it.
    Check out everything in the system.
    Mike

I agree there shouldn't be a smell. When you say check out everything in the system; do you mean take the pump apart. Keep in mind the pump is lower than the septic tank and the thought of draining that into my basement frightens me. You mentioned a trap. The pipe from the pump is verticle, where should the trap be? If the pump is working and not backing up....where could the smell be coming from?

Talking Bad gas

As the pit seems to be pretty well sealed, I would look to the floor drains for the answer. Infrequently used, the traps in them have a way of drying out allowing dairy airs back into the living space. About once a month, put a bucket of water with a tablespoon of bleach premixed in it down into the drains. This not only seals out the gas, but inhibits little flies that are attracted to that stuff. If the ejection pump has limited service for only say a sink or a laundry, and you don't live in a full house of people, run an extra load of whites or linens. Stagnating water isn't a good thing, even for a walrus' tite seal.

Talking Pump Smell

As the pit seems to be pretty well sealed, I would look to the floor drains for the answer. Infrequently used, the traps in them have a way of drying out allowing dairy airs back into the living space. About once a month, put a bucket of water with a tablespoon of bleach premixed in it down into the drains. This not only seals out the gas, but inhibits little flies that are attracted to that stuff. If the ejection pump has limited service for only say a sink or a laundry, and you don't live in a full house of people, run an extra load of whites or linens. Stagnating water isn't a good thing, even for a walrus' tite seal.