Help me fix this once and for all....

Users who are viewing this thread

plumberIain't

Reaction score
Hello all....thanks in advance for any suggestions....

Detail: 90' well with submersible pump located in cinderblock pumphouse in the yard. Small tank and pressure switch located under the house. Former owner of the house had a dog kennel with faucet. Last night, temp went to 10 degrees. I've had this pipe wrapped with heat tape for years and all was well. Tonight, came home to find water spurting from the pipe, with the heat tape chewed in two by my own new puppies (7 months old). Looked in the pumphouse - found no shutoff. Looked under the house at the tank - the main shutoff was easy to find - I turned it off. Needle on pressure guage would rise slightly then fall again - telling me I must still have a leak. I follow the two black pvc(?) pipes from the tank - the smaller one goes down in the ground under the house toward the pumphouse - the larger one is connected to one of the copper water lines under the house. So I'm assuming the smaller one is the "feeder" line from the well. So I'm thinking, oh come on..the previous owner surely had a cut off somewhere for this kennel water line, but danged if I see one. So now I'm thinking what he must have done is "T"'d off from the underground main somewhere. So, to save the well and the pump, I just killed the power for the pump - didn't know what else to do.
I haven't ever used the "kennel" faucets at all, and never will, so instead of capping them off at the faucet end, I want to cap them at their source, cause I figure sooner or later, that underground line to the kennel will leak as well - why take that chance?
So, my question is, have I missed something? Or am I just gonna have to start at the kennel faucets and dig back towards the well, following the line as I go? I'm taking tomorrow off of work to take care of this.
Any suggestions would be appreciated....Thanks!

Speedbump

Reaction score
You said one large pipe and one smaller. I would think the large pipe would be from the pump and the small one may be the faucet your talking about.

I believe the pipe your describing is Poly (black flexible pipe). This is used from the pump to the tank a lot. But not used for plumbing except by weekend warriors. This may be the reason for no valve. It was just easier to not install one.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks