Pipes Banging

Users who are viewing this thread

Darcy

Reaction score
I have 2 problems. When the kids run off the water quickly (single push/pull lever) the pipes make a thuding/loud Banging sound. Also when 1 person is in the shower, and someone else runs the water, the pipes in the shower bang violently. I have 2 showers doing this, and they are both about 16 years old. Could the shower issues be the valve's?

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
What type of piping is the water supply in the house?
Sounds like unsecured lines...

KD

Reaction score
Install water hammer units see water hammer post.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Pipes also could be loose. I had this problem in a shower, and in the demolition/remodelling process I found that the pipes were not secured to any wood framing and were very very loose. The new piping I installed was secured to framing members and is now firmly attached.

Darcy

Reaction score
cooper pipes

If it is in fact unsecured pipes. Is there anything I can do without tearing holes in the walls to secure them?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
NO...if the pipes are flopping around, you need to secure them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks